Light At The End Of The Tunnel

A cockroach crawled atop a rusty piece of alloy flooring. It stood still as its antennae waved around silently. Just then, a soft rumble shook the floor and the bug skittered out of the way before running shoes hit the floor harshly.

The first phase of the exam was underway, and the applicants had kept running for hours. Many had already dropped in exhaustion. Some had stopped running to lay in the fetal position, nearly weeping from mental despair.

"We're going to keep running forever and ever! I can't go on like this."

A man looked backward at the dark tunnel as he sat on the dirty floor.

"This means I have to go back... all of that again."

The man screamed into his hands.

Someone stepped next to him, just nearly missing him.

It was Y/n,  looking down with a bothered face.

Oh, I could have fallen, she thought.

As it appeared, Y/n, Kurapika, Gon, and Leorio were still in the race.

Running alongside Y/n, Kurapika kept a silent and steady pace, small drops of sweat working at his temple hidden under a shade of blonde hair.

We've been running for approximately four hours and at least sixty kilometers... how much farther do we need to go? he thought.

Next to him, Y/n ran ably. She wasn't a runner, but her life had always required her to stay active, so she was doing just fine. Physically, that is.

"Man this is dull! There's nothing to do but run," Y/n complained, stretching her arms in a '4' shape above her as she jogged.

"You truly can't endure even a moment of monotony, can you?" Kurapika asked her.

"And why would I like monotony, Kurapika?" Y/n flirted back.

"I almost want to take a nap. I wonder if I could manage that while running..." she pondered aloud.

Kurapika tugged at her sleeve playfully with two fingers.

"You're very impatient, Y/n."

Kurapika laughed slightly as his eyes danced on her face, slightly red, he thought, from running.

Behind them, Leorio ran awkwardly, working arduously to keep his pace steadfast. He was heaving and panting before a boy passed him on a skateboard.

"Hey, kid!!" Leorio yelled. "Have a little respect for the Exam and run like the rest of us!"

"Why would I do that?" The boy replied.

"This is an endurance test, that's cheating!" he said, waggling a sweaty finger towards him.

"No, it's not," Gon called from behind. He approached them and beheld the boy at last.

He was a bit taller than Gon and his platinum blonde hair swayed from the breeze as he rode his skateboard, wearing an expression of disinterest on his face. Upon seeing Gon, however, his sapphire-blue eyes situated on him and he shifted on his board to approach him.

"How old are you?" he asked.

"I'm twelve," Gon answered.

Same as me, the boy thought.

He stepped sharply on his board and flung it into the air seamlessly, catching it under his sleeve.

"I think I'll run for a little while," the little towhead said.