Chapter 4

"Y'know, you're different." Striker said before flicking his cigarette bud away. Striker was off his break now but you still tagged along while he went and bought materials that were on a shopping list that Lin gave him.

"How so?" You asked, leaning in closer to hear what he said.

"As you know, Imps are seen as the weaker species compared to other demons." He explained, a grimace appearing on his face.

"And because of this a lot of our kind has an inferiority complex, most Imps I come across are weak. Both in their mind and bodies— but you, you're strong." He finished.

"That's because our world is cruel, Striker. I'm strong because I have ta be, some of tha shit we see—" you paused to sip on your water (which you got in a to go cup for some reason).
"It's deplorable." You added.

"Right, but instead of choosing to be mediocre for the rest of your life, you chose to be strong." He added, you nodded slowly in agreement. You were anything but mediocre.

"Hell is full of good for nothing lowlife fuck ups, but you and me— we're nothing like the rapists, thieves, cheaters." You visibly winced at the mention of cheaters. He paused his monologue, staring deeply into your eyes. His yellow eyes glowed as the sun went down.

"Y/n, earlier you had told that scumbag as well as me that your relationship was complicated. Do you have a boyfriend?" He asked, almost like he was trying to be sensitive. He could tell you didn't want to talk about this.

You panicked, not knowing if you should lie or tell the truth. You couldn't help but do the ladder, Striker wasn't a dummy, he could tell when you lied.
"Yeah— well, no. I have a husband, Julius." You admitted. Automatically, Striker felt guilty for feeling in anyway romantically interested in you. You were spoken for already.

"B-but, we're not together. I've been trying to serve him divorce papers but I can't find the fucker." You cursed, hands shaking in rage and anxiety. He frowned at your shaken form.

"Remember when I told you about my sister and I?" You asked, he nodded slowly.

"Well that 'artistic difference' was him, she saw him as hers. And it wasn't until after a year of them doing it behind my back did I find out. After a show we went back to our apartment, and we didn't have any groceries so I went out ta get some. By tha time I got back, I caught them in my bed and—" your voice broke, you felt your wet face. You didn't realize you were crying until hot tears ran down your face.

"I don't know what came over me, I was just so angry and frustrated." You muttered.

"So I beat them half to death, then I shot the bastard." You admitted, rubbing your tears away. Striker was shocked at your admittance, but he made sure it didn't reflect in his face.

"And then I left the apartment and stayed with Millie for a few days. And when I came back all of my stuff was gone, my clothes, my bed, my fucking cat! They took everything." You finished.

"So, now I got nothing except for Bubbs..." You sighed, brushing your hair away from your eyes as the hair was sticking to your wet face.

"That's it?" He asked, arms crossed and eyes downcast on you.

"What do you mean "that's it?" you yelled at the man, eyes filled with rage.

"C'mon, you're smart. You got something going around in that head of yours." He edged you on, trying to get you to admit something.