Chapter 13

A/N Sooo...how y'all doing?? Sorry for that hiatus; I was working on college application stuff and got distracted from the story. In no way is this story discontinued! I plan on at least 30 chapters, maybe 40 or 50. So I really do appreciate you all for sticking around! (Also this wasn't proofread, I'll be going back later and editing it).

"Striker! Ya're not gonna believe what I just heard!" You shouted across the field, using your crutches to basically hobble your way there.

"And what's that?" He asked, cleaning some farming equipment from earlier off.

"Millie is coming ta tha Harvest Moon Festival!" You squealed, wanting to jump all over and hug the cowboy. You settled on a playful shoulder bump since he seemed uncomfortable with touch and all that. You figured the reasoning for it is that he was just shy or touch starved, seeing as at other times when you would touch him he seemed more caught off guard by the action rather then disgusted by the fact that you touched him.

"And I reckon you're pretty happy 'bout that?" He asked sarcastically, which you nodded enthusiastically for.

A few weeks had passed and you had gotten better. Your bruises had healed, your cuts had all turned into little white dots that speckled your skin where the glass once cut, giving you some fucked up version of freckles. Your eye no longer had a patch over it. There was a scar resembling a crescent with jagged edges towards the bottom at your temple— the shape of the bottle that Julius hit you with. It was unsightly at first but you began to appreciate its symbolism of defeating something (or rather someone) that held you back.

You had grown closer with Striker. He no longer grumbled or rattled lowly when you touched him. Before it was a question, but now it was with certainty that you could say that you were definitely friends.

You were tasked to prepare the guest bedrooms since you could work now, and you really needed the money since you couldn't work for a few weeks.

Before you could begin to work on it you had to share with Striker the good news.

"We haven't seen each other in forever! Oh Striker— you'll just love her! I 'aven't met anyone as strong, independent, or courageous as her ever!" You commended her, picking up the cat that stood by Striker.

Beelzebubbi seemed to favor Striker more and more as of late (much to Striker's distaste).

However, Striker knew the only way to get close to you, would be to befriend the cat or at least tolerate its existence. So he did his best to be nice to the cat, like head scratches and food.

But back on topic, he was getting a sinking feeling in his throat and stomach that made him feel wary, but he ignored it, powering through to talk to you.

"So, did Lin give you any chores now that you're back on your feet?" He asked, getting frustrated as the oil from the machine wouldn't come off.

"Yup, she said I should go help them pack up so I'll be cleaning their rooms up and later going over to their place to help get stuff...stuffed." You worded poorly.

"Huh, you sure about that little lady?" He asked, trying to hide his slight worry as you adjusted your shoes since they started to slip off just the tiniest bit.

"Yeah I'm sure! I came out mah momma wit' a gun— I can handle this!" You chortled, standing by the handsome farm hand who was looking thoughtfully at the gunk that was still on his hands.

He was worried about you.

"Heyy, it's okay sweetheart. I'll be back in two days when they come for tha festival, capiche?" You smiled, taking a step closer and laying your head on his shoulder. He froze up but later melted at your warm touch.