The Secret Revealed

"...Return the 12th Harbinger y/n."

The sentence continued to repeat over and over again in Diluc's mind and soon enough, it was the only thing that filled his mind. Looking towards him, you made a brief moment of eye contact before looking towards the floor in shame. Although it was less than a second of eye contact, the look in his eyes was utterly clear to you. He looked at you as if you were nothing more than a stranger. It was like the past month that you had spent with had gone down the drain.

Sighing, you mentally admitted defeat. It was obvious that he would look at you like that, you just weren’t prepared for the day that he would look at you with those cold eyes again after seeing the true him. It hurt to say the least.

“Hey…,” Paimon broke the silence after the letter was read. “Isn’t that your name y/n?”

Looking towards the levitating fairy, you nodded silently while putting up a face void of emotions. You had been prepared for the day when your identity would be revealed and decided that when that day would come, you wouldn’t put up a fight. Now was the day to put that decision into action.

Soon after Paimon had said that, a tingling sensation filled the air. At first it was like a small static feeling but soon enough, it turned into a full blown aura of electricity. The room turned a hue of purple while blades of lightning danced around the mage who stood across you.

Staring at you with a glare of anger, the electro mage Lisa thrust her hand out, “So all of this was because of you! You ran away to Mondstadt and now because of you, our Jean, no, Mondstadt is facing the consequences of your actions.”

Placing one knee down on the ground in surrender, you looked up towards the mage who was angered. She was smart and pieced everything together immediately despite only meeting you today - well that much would be expected from the reputable librarian of Mondstadt. Had things been different, she would have been someone that you would have wanted to know more about. Unfortunately, things were like this and you couldn’t make any excuses.

“I admit that it’s my fault,” you admitted while throwing your pride away. “And because of that, I won’t try anything. Feel free to exchange me for The Acting Grand Master, I promise I won’t try anything.”

“You-,” Lisa gritted her teeth before being stopped by Amber.

Amber gave you a smile of pity, “Y/n already agreed to return to the Fatui so that we can get Jean back. Lisa, let’s not prolong this. Let’s just get Jean back now.”

“I agree,” Eula, who had been quiet during the whole fiasco nodded. “We shouldn’t prolong this matter any longer. Let us trade her for Jean.”

“Although I don’t like doing something as heartless as this,” Amber started. “If we can do things without fighting, the better.”

“You don’t need to feel guilty,” you gave Amber a genuine smile. “I don’t have any grudges towards you for doing that.”

“If it is just an exchange, I will attend to my other duties,” Eula interjected and left the room.

Diluc suddenly grabbed your shirt and pulled you up nearly suffocating you, “I don’t know what you’re planning Fatui but don’t think that you’re going to get your way any longer. You may have fooled me once but this time, I won’t fall for any of your tricks.”

The moment that you saw his cold but pained eyes, you couldn’t seem to say anything. You felt horribly guilty. You knew somewhat of the pain that Diluc had suffered because of the Fatui yet you still hid your identity from him and had the nerve to grow closer to him. The pain of betrayal that he must be feeling right now must be horrible. You knew that no amount of suffering that you had faced under the Tsartisa could be compared to his feelings right now.

“Why did you hide this from me Fatui!” Diluc’s hand started to grow unbearably hot before he slammed you against the wall. “What are you planning?”

You averted your eyes, your heart not ready to look at his face that would be mixed with the pain of betrayal. You could feel tears threatening to fall. He was the first person that you had ever gotten so close to and felt comfortable around and now, he was hurt and it was all because of you.

Even though he acted cold, you felt that you could feel his real feelings. Maybe because the two of you were very similar or maybe because of the way that he made you feel comfortable around him. Either way, you knew without a doubt that he was horribly hurt.

During the time together, the two of you were people that could lean on each other. No one else understood yet, the two of you had a chemistry that sang of similar pains.

“Look at me!” Diluc shouted even louder.

Hesitantly turning your head, you listened to his order and looked at him. Your eyes widening in shock, your eyes blurred with tears when you saw his sorrowful expression. Pouring tears came from his eyes. Growing sensitive to the feelings from Diluc, you could feel his hand shaking as you held him up.

“Why did you hide your identity from me? Why did you even get close to me? I trusted you! I was willing to open my heart to you…,” Diluc’s voice broke.

Clenching the fist that was holding you up against the wall, he threw you to the ground in frustration and walked outside the office.

“I have no interest in joining you in this mission,” Diluc muttered before slamming the door.

“I guess it’s just me and you Lumine,” Kaeya shrugged his shoulders. “I personally think I’ll enjoy turning this liar to Fatui.”

“To think that you’re a Harbinger and the Harbinger from the rumor that has been circulating around the city,” Paimon floated behind her partner.

“Can you go look for a Fatui envoy to assist us with this,” Kaeya asked Lumine who only nodded in reply.

After Lumine and Paimon had left, only you, Lisa, Amber, and Kaeya were left in the office and an unnerving silence filled the room.