Chapter 3: A turn for the Worst

You know what they say, when a pot boils over, nothing good happens.

It was just another day in the Hoffman's miserable home. Roman, Cole's father was drunkly moping around near their Texas tool shed, both sad and angry over his loss of his job. It was at times like these that Nora and Cole attempted to cheer him up or calm him down from his ordeal, but it mostly just angered Roman more. 

That very approach would become their worst nightmare.

"Dad?" Cole cautiously approached his father, who was sitting with his old chainsaw, the tool he once used for his job. "What?" Roman drunkly answered as usual. "Please I'm begging you... we think its best you try to move on from getting fired and your drinking habits and try to apply for something else. Please, you've hurt us all, me especially." 

Suddenly, Coles father exploded into a drunken rage. "You little shit!" Roman towered over his son, glaring at him with pure hate. "You think any other job is going to accept me? I've spent half my entire damn life making money from butchering and sawing meat! I ain't good at anything else! You think you can just tell me what to do after such a loss? And for trying, you're going to pay!"

Roman suddenly revved up the chainsaw and began wildly swiping at his son. "Dad please! You have to stop!" Cole cried out. "Shut up and bleed you mistake of nature!" His father growled at him. He continued chasing Cole into the main house all the way to his son's room, where Cole, with his sanity practically scared out of him, locked the door to keep his crazed father from getting in.

"Honey! Please, you have to stop this!" Cole's mother Nora pleaded having rushed into the room to help her son. "Damn you and our relationship!" Cole's father drunkly shouted. 

Cole's father then committed the act that would change his son forever. Raising the chainsaw above his head and screaming maniacally, he drove the chainsaw into his wife's chest, mulching it until her heart, lungs and other organs were nothing but a fine dust of red. 

All of a sudden, Roman Hoffman snapped out of his alcohol and rage induced trance, looking over what used to be his wife but was now an open carcass of blood and guts.

Cole slowly opened the door only to see that his father,  the man who had just tried to kill him, was now on his knees and crying with his wife in his arms.

This was the day that would drive Cole Hoffman over the edge, and into a path of blood.