Chapter 22: The Time has Come

Alcina and Cole stood in front of a cave near the edges of the Castle.

"So this is where she lives?" Cole asked, confused. He had expected something possibly grander.

Alcina giggled. "No silly, but this is where she works and it is here where she will transform you. I'll wait here until she has finished."

"Oh? You're not going in with me? Thought you were worried." Cole did think some concern still resided in her.

"I've gotten over my worries dear. It was all thanks to you. Besides, I did want come along but Mother Miranda said I have to remain here." She smiled and kissed his cheek, happy that they would soon be equals and that their relationship could soon advance once more. 

"I'm glad. I suppose I should go now." Cole rubbed the back of his neck.

"I can wait to see what you will become. See you soon Draga."

Cole waved back as he entered the cave, inside awaited what would change him... forever.

The inside of the cave was just what Cole thought it to be, eventually arriving at a heavy wooden door. He knocked, finding the door to be open and went inside. 

There, in the room, stood Mother Miranda

There, in the room, stood Mother Miranda. The beautiful woman of the village wearing a priestess robe and large crow wings coming out of her back.

"Cole Hoffman. You're just in time. Sit down." She ordered him and pointed to an operation table, to which his surprise, was completely clean. It had conditioned before he had arrived. 

"I assume you know what privilege you have been granted by being here. Or do you think the black god just gives its power to anyone?"

"No, of course not." Cole said. The last thing he wanted was to come off as disrespectful. 

"Alcina is my most devoted daughter and the one I can always count on. In all these years, I have never seen her becoming attached to anyone besides her daughters. Furthermore, you've shown undying defense of her and her family, my other children and after all, you are her prophesied love. So, I have decided to grant her wish and bless you with the mold. You see, many years ago I walked into these caves to die. I lost my only child to the Spanish Flu, there was nothing left for me. I was ready to die, but I was chosen to be the prophet of the black god. I spread the word to the Village, showing them the truth. They listened and were rewarded. However, and this is something Alcina understands as a bearer of Aristocracy, Life is like a game of Chess. Some are born as queens, others bishops, but many are pawns. A parent must do anything to protect their child and a child must do anything they ask without hesitation. So I ask you, are you going to be a good child?" She leaned in and looked him directly in the eyes.

"I'd never see a reason not to be." Cole said firmly.

"Good. I know you'll be a splendid addition to my other children." Miranda turned back to reveal a jar with a pulsing heart-like object.

"Admire the Cadou parasite. Isn't it amazing?" 

"Most certainly." Cole responded openly and honestly.

"Let us proceed then. Lay down on the table and get rid of your shirt." Miranda ordered.

Cole did as he was told. 

"Are you ready?" Miranda asked.

Cole took a small breath as he readied his mind for the procedure.

"Yes."

"Then the process can begin." Miranda pulled up the Cadou, numerous sharp instruments and a chalice.

Cole slightly shuddered. He couldn't help but be nervous. He was going to be cut open like an animal.

Miranda noticed his nervousness and held up the chalice. "Drink this, it will ease the pain." 

Cole did as she asked. The brew was the worst thing that ever entered his mouth but he forced himself to drink it all. "Good. Now we can begin."

He lay back as his body went numb and his ears started ringing. He felt a sharp pain in his chest as Miranda cut him open. He felt the urge to respond, but his body wouldn't move. He was paralyzed. 

Then, Miranda implanted the Cadou into his chest. He began having visions of the past, memories of the people collected by the megamycete long ago. The roman and medieval era, the victims of the Spanish Flu, Mother Miranda becoming the prophet, the preparation of the rebirth of her daughter.

A few minutes passed. Suddenly the heart rate monitor flatlined. 

Cole was dead.

Just a minute later, the heartbeat was back. Miranda smiled. 

The process was a success. Now all they had to do was wait.