Chapter 7: The Arrival

Excited. The one word that could describe Cole as he awaited his arrival to the village. The flight was rather comfortable and turbulence-free. There was some slight rocking with Cole and his things in the Crate sometimes, but other than that he remained untroubled during the trip.

An hour long nap later Cole felt the crate shake. Could this be the time? The new home he'd been waiting for? Cole sat up in anticipation and got himself ready. Here it was, the moment he'd been waiting half his life for!

The top of the crate was then lifted and there stood a young woman, peering into the box. Cole hopped on out with his belongings, more than excited to see who he thought was his new roommate.

"Hey Ms...?" Cole stated, unsure of the woman's name. "It's Elena, Elena Carson. Please we don't have time, my father was hurt, the monsters attacked him just now!" The girl explained, seeming rather unfazed but he sight of another stranger in the village. "What do you mean what monsters?" Cole asked both puzzled and slightly scared. Before Elena could answer, her father started howling in pain. Elena comforted her father, already scared for him and the attention her father's screams could draw to the monsters outside, but Cole springs into action covering and treating the wound with a gauze Radek had given him.

"How... How did you know how to do that?" Elena asked. "Father taught me." Cole responded timidly. Cole then knocked on the front door of the house they were in front of. He shouted out to whoever was inside until a shotgun suddenly poked out along with the door opening.

"Stop shouting

"Stop shouting. You'll draw them here!" The man aggressively said. "I'm-I'm sorry we were just asking to get in." Cole quickly helped Elena and her father into the house as the man eyed them closely. "Why are they so shaken? What are these monsters they're talking' about?" Cole though to himself.

Once down, the survivors took a seat in a living room with a woman named Olivia coming out to greet them. "Welcome, we are so glad you're safe, it's a nightmare out there." Cole then noticed a small shrine, near the center of the room. In it stood, 5 photos, each showing a figure likely of high authority, but most eye catching of all was the photo to the left. In it stood a headshot of a beautiful woman, wearing what appeared to Cole to be an unusually large sunhat.

"Excuse me sir? Who is this?" Cole asked the man who let them in. "Oh that? That's L-" The man suddenly paused as he noticed the flower marking on Cole's left wrist, the marking that bore the most importance to him. "You... you're an imposter!" The man shouted, turning his shotgun on Cole. Terrified out of his mind, Cole responded, "Sir-Sir what do you mean?!" "You bear the mark of the witch! You've doomed us all!" The man yelled.

Before any of the other survivors could react, a leathery creature burst through the window. It was one of the monsters the villagers had spoken of. More of them soon filled the house and then began to attack the occupants, mercilessly ravaging them and biting into them.

As Cole watched them finish in terror, the monsters, "The Lycans" as the people knew them, growled at Cole, who grabbed his father's Chainsaw to defend himself. The Lycans were quick, but not as quick as Cole's athletic reflexes. He swiped away at them, the saw's blade running and the motor roaring. 2 Lycans then ganged up on Cole, slashing him across the torso and legs. But Cole was made of something these beasts hadn't seen before, something stronger, tougher and the will to survive.

Suddenly, the head Lycan warrior noticed the flower marking on Cole's Wrist. He then growled to the others to back away and they then bowed down in what Cole assumed to be worship.

Cole, frightened and strangely touched by their actions, slowly backed away, when suddenly he heard growling from behind the house. Suddenly the whole structure coming crashing down on Cole, and he looked up to see a Lycan giant with a massive spiked hammer. The creature didn't harm him however, he simply ushered the lycans away from Cole and left forth toward to another area of the village. Cole then looked down to see that his right leg, had been pinned by a massive support beam of the house. He panicked and tried to lift it or pull his leg out, but it was useless. The beam was too heavy and he couldn't get out. Then, looking over at his father's chainsaw, he knew what he had to do. His thoughts raced in as he revved up the saw and prepared to cut off his own leg. He started tearing up at the sacrifice he had to make, the part of his body that he had cherished for so long in running, exercise and his old life. But then he remembered the old SAW films he also used to watch back home.

He remembered how the victims placed in Jigsaw's traps had to make difficult decisions or sacrifices in order to come out alive. In this case, Cole's leg was trapped, and it was either possibly starve to death trapped, or saw off his own leg to continue on toward safety. He never forgot John Kramer, the Jigsaw killer's words: "Let us see if you will sacrifice the one thing you rely on in order to go one living."

And with that, Cole raised the running chainsaw up above his leg and Jigsaw's signature words echoed in his head: "Live or Die. The choice is yours." And so Cole made his.

The saw cut into the flesh of Cole's right leg and sent him screaming in agony, but he had the will to keep going. He kept sawing away at the non-trapped part of his leg, the tendons tearing, the flesh ripping away in seconds. And at last the last of the flesh gave out and Cole had done it! He was free... but at what cost. Cole screamed as he looked at the sawed off part of his leg, all the while crying about the cost of his freedom. But with the will to live and the tenacity to continue, he still had much to do. He then took off his shirt and tied a tourniquet around his leg to stop the flow of blood. Cole sighed, relieved that the risk of bleeding out was now greatly reduced.

Unsure of what to do or where to go, Cole remembered the Castle his friends told him about. They described it as something for sightseeing on his off days, but he believed it to be something of salvation, a place he maybe could call home. He'd heard whispers, of the castle, of how he'd want to turn back, of how many who thought it to be uninhabited had never returned, but where else could he go?

Cole had to ruck up and move out. The castle seemed to be more than mile away, a long crawling time to get there. He had still sustained severe internal injuries and on top of that, was now missing a leg and it was heavily snowing out in the deeper parts of the village to the castle, but you know the saying don't you?

Good things come to those who wait.

With nothing but his Chainsaw in hand, he began crawling toward the Castle ahead of the Village, towards the clear dawn...