29.

**I read it then would edit it then read it again and I think I checked it for the final time but as always, read at your own risk**

Tick.

               Tick.

                               Tick.

                                               Tick.

Hayes' leg bounced up and down a million times a second. Her nerves were getting the best of her right now.  It was like her senses were on hyper-alert, every little noise, every little movement, piercing her ears. Adrenaline.

Tick.

Tick.

Oh how she so badly wanted to just rip that clock off the wall and chuck it down the hall. The ticking of the clock especially was driving her absolutely insane.

Sniffle.

Hayes' leg movement paused as she shuffled around in her seat, freeing her right hand from underneath her thigh where she had been digging her nails into the fading red cushion seat. Her left hand was tightly clenched by Francis' unwavering grip as if she was his lifeline in his anxiety. She glanced at him, bent over with half his face hidden in the palm of his hand, his own leg bouncing up a storm. Family trait she supposed.

They weren't kidding when they said Francis wore his heart on his sleeve. She had been able to read every expression that flitted across his face during his conversation with Austin.

It wasn't good news.

But Hayes had only been able to hear just bits and pieces as her ears were clogged by this constant annoying ringing sound. The sound that occurs when you're so overwhelmed and you can't focus on anything and it feels like the world is going to crap.

But, as it turned out, the world wasn't falling apart.

She had been able to hear the most important part of the conversation, allowing her to breathe a little easier. Her chest to feel a little less tight.

Her brothers were okay. It wasn't Baker.

Charlotte, on the other hand, was not so lucky.

The door to the main office was pushed opened, allowing in the outside noise as random students roaming around during their lunch break entered the bustling office. Hayes watched them as they walked down the hall, away from where the two siblings sat. She kept her eyes peeled for their missing musketeer.

She had texted Glen almost 10 minutes ago and he still hadn't come yet. Hayes frowned, where was he?

The door opened twice more, before finally revealing Glen amongst the few students who straggled in. Lunch would be over soon. He spotted them right away and hurried over. She could see the panic clear as day written on his face. Maybe she should have elaborated in her message besides just in office, pls come.

"What happened? Are you okay?" Glen questioned as he skimmed over Hayes and Francis for any hints of damage. Hayes offered him a weak smile in reassurance that she was fine. Frazzled, but fine.

At the sound of his voice, Francis became more alert, picking up his head to look at Glen. His free hand rubbed one of his eyes before wiping his nose in the back of his hand. He sniffed once before clearing his throat, trying to pretend that his eyes weren't totally red, that he wasn't leaking tears this whole time.

"Hey, baby bro. What's up?" Realizing he still held on to Hayes' hand, Francis let go, running his fingers through his hair before laying his arm on his leg. Hayes quickly clenched and unclenched her hand in a fist, trying to regain some of the feeling back. Francis had squeezed the blood out of her fingers.