32.

* Ahhhhhhhh the next chapter is here! (: *

Austin took another glimpse into the rearview mirror to check on Glen, his hovering parental nature kicking in.

The boy looked rather calm now compared to the first 20 glances sent his way, as if Glen had finally accepted whatever fate was coming his way. His gaze was situated on the window, watching the passing cars, only shifting downward momentarily when he readjusted the icepack on his lap.

Nobody had said anything , making for a silent car ride to the parlor. It was only when Austin pulled into the parking lot did he hear some rustling coming from his little sister.

At the sight of the giant ice cream sign, Harry's Ice Cream Parlor, Hayes perked right up. Her feet slid off the seat as she sat up in anticipation. Initially she found it a little hard to believe that Austin was willingly allowing them to have ice cream for dinner but now that she saw it with her own eyes, she certainly wasn't going to question it.

Jumping out of the car, she pushed her door shut before rounding to the back to meet up with her brothers. Excitement danced in her eyes as she knocked into Austin's side, her hand subconsciously gripping onto his shirt as his arm wrapped around her shoulders.

"Did the icepack help?" Austin asked his brother who approached Hayes' other side. He noticed Glen left it behind on his seat.

"Uh huh," Glen gave him a couple nods as he ruffled his messy blonde lockes with his good hand. He needed to get a haircut this weekend or he'd have lunch detention on Monday. Stupid Catholic school with their dumb rules.

"Good," Austin murmured, the three heading towards the shop. Once they crossed the parking lot onto the sidewalk, Hayes bounced ahead of them, too eager to walk at their slow pace. The store was basically empty with only another family paying at the cash register, the little bell jingling loudly above the doorframe as they entered. 

"What kind are you going to get?" Hayes made a beeline to the counter. Her nose was nearly touching the glass barrier, separating the customers from where the ice cream buckets sat. Her hands were plastered against the glass, her pointer finger pressed above her flavor of choice, tapping repeatedly.

Mint chocolate chip ice cream with rainbow sprinkles, please!

No brainer for the young girl.

Austin hung back, walking at a more appropriate speed as he watched Glen step beside her, his gaze scanning over the available options. Hayes turned her head to speak to him, the two appearing to conspire quietly as a smile floated onto her face. Without thinking, Hayes hugged Glen, apparently forgetting all about his injury because she suddenly jumped back when Glen hissed in pain. Her face dropped in concern as she muttered an apology. 

"Easy does it," Austin told his sister, pulling her back a couple steps to rest against his chest. His hand remained looped around her waist to keep her out of trouble. When she tilted her head back to look at him, her smile was back.

Austin returned the glance with a smile of his own as he poked his finger in her side creating some giggles as she squirmed. When her gaze focused on something else, his own smile dipped momentarily as a bit of guilt circulated in his head. He couldn't help but think about how he manipulated this situation to be in his favor. He had no doubt that Hayes and her ice cream would soften the intensity of the conversation he needed to have with Glen.