56.

Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.

Rumi

~~~~

"Come on, Sonny. You'll be home in 23 days."

The pout was prominent on Emerson's face as he wrapped his arms around Hayes' tiny frame for the second time. He rested his chin on top of her head as his sad blue eyes found Austin's. "Maybe I should come home now."

"Emerson..."

"I'll just email my professors. They'll understand."

"No..."

"I'll do my classes online. The internet exists for this very reason."

Francis tilted his head, nodding along with his best friend, "I agree."

"I disagree," Austin asserted, his blue eyes revealing his amusement. This happened every single time, Emerson postponing the departure of his siblings to return home or the reverse, postponing his own departure back to college.

Emerson hated goodbyes.

"Fine," The young adult sighed, full of sadness, "See you later, Junior."

"Bye, Sonny," Hayes murmured, rubbing her forehead against his chest in a sign of affection. She only stepped back when Emerson finally released her after an extra squeeze. He moved over to the next person in line, giving Glen a big hug.

His other little mini-me, the boy was quickly gaining height. Won't be mini for long.

"Bye, Smiley." Emerson patted his upper back, taking an extra second to hold him tight. He whispered in his kid brother's ear, "You're stronger than you think and you're not alone. Remember that."

Glen's fingers tightened into a fist, pressed against Emerson's back. He pinched his eyes shut, trying to remain strong like his brother believed he was.

The boy had tried to bounce back after the heart-to-heart, if you could call it that, with Dakota that morning, but he never really felt his normal self.

Glen wasn't so sure his brothers were sold by the act or not, but no one brought it up. He wasn't sure if they even knew what took place while they were out picking up breakfast at IHOP.

Neither did the brothers ask questions as to why Hayes had been a shell of herself, too. When Austin had returned to the hotel room with Emerson, Francis, and hot food, she had silently busied herself with eating the chocolate chocolate chip pancakes before retreating to the empty connected bedroom.

They let her be for a little while, as the brothers made mindless conversation and ate their own pancakes. She only reemerged after Austin went to check on her, fully dressed for the day in another pair of running shorts and this time, her own sweatshirt.

What else but the neon green sweatshirt that Dakota owned a matching pair. Even he couldn't deny the smile that graced his face when he saw her wearing it, the blonde baby doing a little twirl to show off her outfit.

But then Austin redirected her back into the bedroom to add some more warm clothes to her attire. The weather was beautiful compared to yesterday's overcast so Emerson wanted to go walk around campus so he could play tour guide before the siblings had to leave.

In quick fashion, She simply pulled on sweatpants over her shorts before snatching Francis' hoodie he wore that morning for the breakfast run.

Who was complaining now about his overpacking?