3

I share a house with Alex, which started when we were broke interns, but now that we're making good money we should go out separate ways, but neither of us wants to. I'm used to being around people all day and would prefer to live with someone than be alone at the end of the day. However, today I want to be alone.

When I get home, I don't go right to bed, but I do flop onto the couch and call for a pizza. It's just after five, so going to bed now is stupid anyway. I probably won't leave for the hospital as late tomorrow as I planned, but I only need eight hours of sleep, so being in bed by nine or ten will be fine. For now I turn on the TV. The news is running the story about the President and I realize for the first time I don't know if anyone from the hospital made a comment on his condition.

No sooner do I think that, Richard is on the screen. "I am happy to say that our very talented surgical team, led by general surgery attending, Doctor Meredith Grey, has been able to remove the bullet from the President and he is making a great recovery already. He's currently surrounded by his family and trying to get better quickly so he can start his duties. The President will be staying at Georgetown for a few more days and then he'll be moved to the White House. At this time, the President and his family ask for privacy but thank you all for your well-wishes."

I'm surprised Richard mentioned me by name, but then again it's not too surprising. The surgeon is usually mentioned, but it's never happened to me. I watch the live footage of the shooting and it's more horrible than I could've imagined. I see Toby dive and take out the shooter, Dennis Walker. They show Walker's face a lot and mention that he was recently hired by the Secret Service. His background check showed no reason he might harm the President, so the news casters can only speculate, which I hate, so I change the channel.

Alex shows up right in time for pizza. He pays the delivery man and carries the box into the living room, where I'm half-dead on the couch. "Do you want something to drink?" he asks.

"Wine. Lots of wine."

Alex returns with a wine bottle and a huge glass. I pull myself up to pour a glass. "Did you hear anything about the President before you left?" I ask.

He shakes his head. "No one's saying anything. The only people allowed in the room are you and the Chief. His family is pretty intense. I don't think they've left once."

"They love him."

Alex turns on a football game and puts his feet up on the coffee table. "You know that one intern, Jo?"

I shake my head. "Which one is she?"

"Brunette. Average height. Thin."

"That's all of them."

"The hot one?" he asks.

I shake my head again. "No, but I'm guessing you're going to go for her."

"Definitely not. She has crazy in her eyes like all the other ones. She is hot though. But the point is she's a pain in the ass. She was on my service today and she was trying to take over. Trying to tell me how to do my job."

"Isn't that part of it? They tell us what to do, are usually wrong, and we correct them?"

"Not anymore. I'm an attending. My residents are just throwing these untrained interns at me. I won't put up with it."

I thrust my fist into the air. "Tell it to the man, Alex."

He glares at me. "You're such an asshole."

I shrug and finish off a piece of pizza. I take a deep chug of wine. "What I really am is tired, but if I go to bed now I'll be up at three ready to go."