Chapter Six: Fight for the Coal Badge

Oreburgh City reminded Xavier of Pewter City in many ways, even though he had visited the latter only once for a field trip to the Pewter Museum of Science in there. Just like Pewter, Oreburgh too had a museum, called the Oreburgh Mining Museum which showcasing the relics and artifacts excavated by the Oreburgh Mining Team. This team is run by the gym leader of Oreburgh Roark.

Geography-wise Oreburgh City is located in Central Sinnoh and is a mining city blessed with natural resources. Prominent vents built throughout the city exchange the stale air from the mines below with fresh above-ground air. This helps get rid of any poison gas which used to be the bane of coal miners in the past when such vents weren't even designed.

In the Southern Section of the city lay the economic source of this city and the reason of its flourishment, the Oreburgh Mines. Huge deposits of coal lay underneath them which were mined out under the leadership of Roark. The miners were also experienced battlers and one can train in the upper floors of the mines if they wanted to.

All of this was allowed by Roark. As he gym leader of this city, he does crave for a challenge every now and then.

_____________________________________

Xavier had extended his stay in Oreburgh for two days, devoting most of the time to training either in the mines or in the grassy areas of Route 7 which had ample to Pokémon to train against. During his extended stay he gained the knowledge that Gym Leader Roark uses Rock-types. 

That was more the reason he trained against the Rock-types in the mines with Growlithe. Unlike his Fighting-type Machop who held type advantage over Rock-types, Growlithe held a major disadvantage against Rock-types. 

There are many cases where type matchup mean nothing especially when it comes to battle against someone skilled or experienced. Like what happened when Xavier faced off against Cynthia. 

The difference in skills and experience was way too vast. That is the reason why her Glaceon was able to take down Growlithe. Even if that were the case, it doesn't harm at all to be prepared for any kind of situation. 

Satisfied with his progress and eager to take on the Gym today, Xavier walked down the pathway towards the Gym. Like all other gyms in various regions, this one had an official Pokémon League marking on the roof as well which signified it as an official gym.

On the way he met up with Lucas and two of his friends, one being a hyperactive blonde who doesn't know the definition of patience and another a dark blue haired pretty girl with a white beanie on her head. She was much patient as compared to the blonde boy named Barry. 

The trio had arrived to Oreburgh after staying in Jubilife for an extended period of time, the reason being that the girl named Dawn wanted to participate in the Contest held in there. She had her dream set on becoming Sinnoh's top Pokémon Coordinator. 

Having caught up with Lucas and his friends, they went separate ways. The Twinleaf Trio went for the Pokécenter in order to get their Pokémon healed and get some rest while Xavier headed for the Gym. 

_________________________________

Once inside Xavier was greeted by the sight of a battlefield in the between with bleachers on the sides. The battlefield was modified to suit a Rock-type battlefield, being fully infested with boulders here and there, giving it an appearance of a rough rocky terrain. 

Opposite to the challenger's box stood a young man with maroon red hair who wore glasses. He wore a gray mining uniform, complete with a pair of black boots and red helmet. He wore white mining gloves on his hands, on which dirt form the mines were visible.