Chapter Thirteen: Sovereign of Nightmares

"Don't come near. Go away!"

From the shadows casted by the trees something begin to emerge. The ominous feeling that was around them begin growing more and more. The heavy feeling from before increased and it felt as if someone with immense power in their grasp was descending in front of them. Cynthia stood firm, gripping her Ultra Ball tightly and waiting for the enemy to fully reveal themselves.

The source of the windows finally emerged from the darkness of the shadows and it's mere appearance sent shivers down everyone's spines. It was a pitch, black, shadow-like Pokémon with a small head and a white ghostly fog-like plume billowing from its head covering one of its bright and cold blue eyes. 

It had a red spiky growth around its neck with skinny arms and long, black tatters hanging from its shoulders. It had black claw-like arms with said claws being sharp enough to rip through anything easily.

"Darkrai, the Pitch Black Pokémon. Folklore has it that on moonless nights, this Pokémon will make people and other Pokémon see horrific nightmares."

"Garchomp, battle station!" 

Flinging the Ultra Ball, Cynthia let out her ace Pokémon and the one she had ever since she begin her journey as a trainer. The Dragon/Ground-type stood mighty even in front of the Pitch Black Pokémon whose glare is enough to send shiver down anyone's spine and was known to have dangerous abilities. But Garchomp has nothing to fear. As long as she and her trainer are together in a battle, she knows she will prevail through somehow.

"Garchomp, the Mach Pokémon. It is said that when one runs at high speed, its wings create blades of wind that can fell nearby trees."

'That's little sharky's final form...she does have a different aura about her now..' Xavier awed at the sight of Garchomp for a short moment before glaring at the unwanted guest and supposed culprit of the property damage. He wants to lend a helping hand as well but is aware that at his current level he will be a burden. 

So all he can do is keep faith in Cynthia and Garchomp.

"Dragon Claw!" 

The Mach Pokémon took off the ground at blinding speed, quickly closing the distance between herself and her foe with her claws glowing in a vibrant emerald glow, coursing with draconic energy. Garchomp was too fast for Darkrai to react or hide in its shadows. Reflexively it cloaked its own arm in shadows, clashing with the Dragon/Ground-type. The latter being physically superior in strength pushed the Pitch Black Pokémon backwards.

Feeling itself getting pushed back, Darkrai let out a grunt before giving up on resistance against Garchomp and got hit instead from the attack. The strike sent it flying back and instead of crashing on the line of trees, it dove back into the shadows and moved around haphazardly, confusing every onlooker. 

Then it re-emerged from the other end and charged a pitch black orb in between it's claws and flung it towards the humans. Garchomp flew right in front of said humans, brandishing her glowing claws before proceeding to slash the orb into two. 

But right when her claws came in contact with the orb, instead of shattering, the orb completely enveloped the Mach Pokémon completely. It then dissipated into thin air, seconds later leaving a sleeping Garchomp. And from the looks of it, she was in a deep slumber. 

"Garchomp got knocked out?!" Dawn couldn't believe her eyes. She has seen countless battles of Cynthia in television and her Garchomp is sort of undefeatable for anyone who dares to face against them. "In just one attack?"

"More like she fell asleep by the strange dark attack.." Lucas corrected, his trembling hands grasping hold of his pokéball. But seeing the Dragon/Ground-type go down like that, he wasn't much confident in his own abilities.