fifteen.

Helena's POV:

"MASON!" I snapped slapping his hand away from my chips.

"Ow!" He shouted. "Helena, please just one more."

"No! You keep stealing it and I've barely had some." I said.

He gave me a pout and I scoffed. "Fine! Only one!" I gave in. He gave me a big smile and took the largest chip.

"Thanks baby." He smiled. I scrunched my face.

"Don't call me baby." I told him.

"Why not?" He asked. "I think it suits you."

Leora, who was sitting next to him, scoffed. She didn't want to speak to us because she was in a bad mood. So we waited until she spoke.

"It does not suit her. I think sweetheart suits her." She told him. She made eye contact with me and for a moment I saw her smirk.

Mason laughed. "No it's doesn't."

"Yeah it does." She said, pushing him a little.

"I don't know about you guys but I think Helena suits me." I told them chuckling.

"So, Leo why are you in a bad mood?" Mason asked. "Is it because your girlfriend dumped you?"

My heart skipped a beat.

"You had a girlfriend?" I questioned.

She looked at me, guiltily. "Yeah, her name was Grace."

I'll admit, I was a little hurt that she didn't tell me she was dating someone. Plus that I liked her but I didn't let that get in the way of our friendship.

"Yikes, I just created some tension." Mason whispered to himself.

"How long were you dating each other?" I asked, pushing my feelings aside.

"About 2 and a half months." She told me, giving me a small smile.

Wow, I guess we aren't as close as I thought we were.

"Look I didn't tell you because was a secret relationship. She didn't want her parents to know." Leora said, reaching to hold my hand.

That's not a reason.

"But I don't know her parents and even if I did, I still wouldn't tell." I told her pulling my hand away. I saw her face drop for a second when I pulled away.

"But-"

"Look I'm not mad, Leora. Stop worrying." I chuckled.

Yeah I'm a little mad.

"Are you sure?" She asked.

"Positive." I told him smiling. Her phone pinged and she looked at her messages. Her face became blank and she put her phone away.

"I have to go, guys. I'll see you later." She said to us. She fist bumped Mason and kissed my cheek whispering another sorry.

She rushed out and Mason just shrugged.

"She's leaving for a small vacation." Mason whispered. "To get over the pain, you know."

"She is?"

"Yep, that's why she is always rushing out. She told me yesterday. I thought she was going to tell you today but she didn't. So I'm kinda disappointed in her." He told me shaking his head.

"She really likes you but she doesn't want to admit it." He told me.

"She does?" I asked. He nodded giving me a smile.

I went to go and grab a chip from my plate but they were all gone. I glared at Mason and he surrendered.

"Sorry!" He said quickly.

...

I walked into the house and threw my keys in the bowl whilst taking my shoes off. It was around 9pm and I was tired.

"How was your day out?" Xavier asked as I walked into the kitchen.

"Tiring." I told him.

"How come?" He asked as I sat next to him.

"Leora was dating a girl called Grace for nearly 3 months and didn't tell me. I thought we told each other everything. Maybe I'm just being stupid and acting like a kid." I said. Xavier cupped my face.

"You aren't acting like a kid. You're hurt, that's all." He said softly. I nodded.

"You really liked her, huh?" He spoke. I nodded again. He hugged me and caressed my hair.

"But they broke up and now she is always just quiet and hardly speaks to me." I told him quietly.

"She'll come round. You guys are best friends after all." He told me. I sighed tiredly.

"I'm just tired of my life." I told him.

"How come?" He asked.

I took a deep breath to stop myself from crying. "Erica and Tobias stole my childhood. I raised them all and I always worry about college and school for them. I've already started saving for them so they can have a good future. I worry about if they're okay 24/7. I'm just tired of constantly not having any sleep because my mind is always on alert. I feel guilty they didn't have a great childhood and now having to suffer from it. I feel guilty about everything." I told him.

"But that's not your fault." He whispered.

"I know but I feel like I'm failing them somehow." I spoke as one tear dropped from my eyes.

"Listen, look how far you've come. 16 years and you've raised the most respectful kids that I've ever seen in my life. You taught them what's right or wrong. You fed them, helped them and put a roof over their heads. You gave them a safe environment." He said wiping my tear.

"You even took me out of a toxic environment and now I'm the happiest I've been." He said softly. I chuckled.

"You are their mother." He whispered. I gave him a smile.

"You deserve the world and one day, you'll sit down and realise what you've done for us." He told me.

I wrapped my arms around him and smiled. "Thank you." I whispered.

"Your welcome. I love you, remember that."

"I love you too." I replied.

Thank you for reading 💕.