eighteen

"Are you sure it'll be okay?"

"Well, I bought it for her." You sighed and leaned against the locker next to Taehyung's. And his ex's. "The combination isn't working," he grumbled.

"Hm?"

"I'll try again." You watched as his fingers quickly spun the combination of his old lock. "Hm."

"Let me try?" He stepped away and you took the lock into your hands. He recited the numbers and your fingers paused as you looked up.

"Isn't that-- isn't that when your anniversary was?" He looked down and you followed his directions, spinning left, then right, and then left again. It didn't budge as you tugged at it. "Your locker combination is your anniversary date-- your anniversary with t/ex?" He shrugged.

"We bought it like that," he whispered. "It was like fate." You sighed and squeezed his shoulder.

"Hey." You both turned around as t/ex walked up. Taehyung stared with wide eyes. She glanced at the lock in your hand. "Oh, I-- I changed it."

"Oh." You stepped aside and she spun the new combo and the lock popped open.

"Did you need something?" she asked. Taeyhyung refused to answer and so you did for him.

"Advil?" She nodded and raised up to her toes to grab a small bottle of the medication for you. You took it and thanked her. You turned to Tae but he raised his head and spoke to her.

"Why'd you change the lock?" She put her book away calmly.

"I didn't like it anymore." He frowned.

"What'd you do with it?"

"I threw it out." You watched his Adam's apple bob as he swallowed. "You guys should go no--"

"How's grandma?" She turned and Taehyung stared, flicking hair off of his forehead with a tilt of his head.

"She's okay."

You tugged on Taehyung's arm. "We should get to trig." She nodded and you pulled on Tae. "Come."

"I'll see you guys in class," t/ex whispered. You nodded and Taehyung began to walk off. You trailed after him, turning back to look at her one last time, her forehead leaning against the locker door as she shut her eyes.

Why'd they have to break up?

"Tae, Tae, walk slower please." He sighed and stopped for you to catch up to him. He had a straight face, features pulled. "Tae."

"Maybe we can skip again?" You gave him a small smile.

"I already told you, I can't." He sighed. "I'm failing and you," you pulled on his arm as you headed to a water fountain, "need to help me out."

He sighed and watched as you drank some water with your pill. You slipped the bottle into your pocket and took his arm. And just then, someone approached you.

"Hey-- y/n, right?" You gave the girl a nod and she smiled. "Can I ask you a favour?"

"What's up?" Tae stood next to you, shifting from foot to foot as t/ex walk past you both to class.

"You're Namjoon's friend, right?" You sighed. You knew what was coming and took Tae's hand.

"No, I'm not giving you his number."

"But--"

"Go ask him yourself." You pulled Taehyung into class and walked right up to your teacher. He looked up and you gave him a small smile before bowing your head.