Prologue: New Beginnings

What is love? If not without the pain, betrayal, hope and loss that comes with it, but also the happiness and despair. This is something that Mara often thought about. At the young age of just 8, her mother and father had been killed. Mara never knew what exactly happened, she was alone in the woods off exploring and following her hopes. She came to hate hoping and refused to do so ever again. She swore it on what was left of her shattered heart. She hated dreaming, hate those who refused to be realistic and not just be honest with themselves at that moment, for it took her away from the only ones who have ever loved her.

It may have been 11 years ago, but I still feel as if it were only yesterday. These years were never kind to her, being a woman, yet alone a young woman, men would sneer and taunt her, look at her as if she was only there for their amusement and pleasure. This world was built for men, not a woman. Today the King, as I like to call him "Count Jackoff," declared that there would be new law in place. That any woman with any sort of powers or as he called them "abilities," because a man such as himself would be intimidated and afraid of a woman with power, that they be executed.

But anyone smart enough would know words were just as or more powerful. Yet it seems to be there aren't many smart people left these days... because Mara had both and was a force to be afraid of. They just didn't know it yet.