Chapter 15: New Alliances

As I sit there and read my book, I begin to hear people arguing as they come down the hall. Closer and closer it gets, until it stops right in front my door.

What now?

Lorcan says, voice muffled from the other side of the door, "We're going out today, just telling you since it's apparaently-" He was cut off with a thud that sounded like a smack to the head, "Ow!" He exclaims. Some hushed yell-whispers later and Lorcan resumes, "We have to go out. That's it."

I walk over to the door, covered head to toe in the blanket I drag from the bed across the floor with me. I open it to see both Cassian and Lorcan, "Why?" I ask.

"Because it's a part of your training." Cassian tells me from behind Lorcan. I gesture to them both, "And it requires both of you to do this?" They look at each other, then back to me, and nodding together.

"Fine, do I need to bring anything with me?" Again, they both look at each other first. They shakes their heads together.

"Can you guys stop doing that? It's weird." This brings a smile to Cassian, but Lorcan being as charming as ever, just grimly stares at me. "Does it disturb you, angel?" Lorcan asks me, as if there's something I'm missing here. "No, it's just weird. Are we leaving now?" I ask to no one in particular.

This time, it's Cassian who answers me, "Yes, just meet us up on the roof. We'll be waiting for you." They're both walking away when I mutter, "Just my luck...."

I head back into my room and go straight to my armoire, I look for an outfit that would keep me comfortable in all sorts of weather, since they never exactly told me where it is we'll be going. I pick out a long sleeve, dark navy blue top that reaches up to my neck, the pants are a shade darker than the top, fitting loosely but also comfortably. I brush back my hair, still too short to tie it back.

I leave my room 5 minutes later and go straight up to the roof to find both of them waiting there. They both look to me when they hear my approach, they don't say anything and then I realize, who's going to carry who?

"Who's going to carry me to wherever we're going?" I ask Cassian, since he is the one with the wings after all.

"Plans changed, it's going to be just you and Lorcan today. Rhys will be up here shortly to winnow you guys there." He looks at me, waiting for me to say something I realize. I ask, "Is Feyre busy?" Cassian nods.

I inhale deeply, and then exhale slowly, trying to ramp myself up for the journey.

"Okay then." I say softly, like my voice could break the silence around us. I'm not sure if they're aware why I'm not comfortable around men, but I'm sure it's obvious at least. Cassian begins to add, "If you really need Feyre, we understand-"

I cut him off, attempting my best at a small smile. "It's fine, I'll be fine." It came out much quieter than I intended. "Okay." Cassian gives me a smile that I know means he is trying to help. Rhysand then walks out and looks to Cassian, there's a focus between them that I realize means they're speaking mind to mind.

After a moment, Rhysand nods to me as if understanding what I chose. He pats Cassian's back as he walks away, which leaves just me, Lorcan and Rhysand. He speaks to Lorcan in his mind and then nods, then he turns to me, but speaks out loud, "Are you ready?" I nod. "Okay, you only have to grab my arm, nothing more." He says with a slight curve to his lips.

I decide I like the High Lord of the Night Court.

I slowly walk over to him and Lorcan, slow and tentative steps. When I'm finally close enough to grab his arm, I mutter softly, "Thank you..." He nods, "Call me Rhys if you'd like." It brings me a kind of warmth at the gesture he's just offered me, and I slowly grab onto his arm, readying for him to winnow. I look out at the sunny day one last time, and then close my eyes.

I know we've arrived when I feel soft, cold flakes hit my skin, and then begin to melt leavings tiny wet drops all along my clothes. I open my eyes, and see a winter landscape full of pine trees covered in snow, and a frozen lake in the distance.

"Why are we here?" I ask Rhysand- Rhys.

"We need to see just how deep your power goes, and I'd prefer not to ruin my city in the process." He says while beaming from ear to ear. I wonder what is always making him so happy, it's probably Feyre. Again, that twinge of jealous tugs at me.

"Oh, I'm sorry." I look down as I speak the words. "You have nothing to be sorry for." It's surprisingly Lorcan saying this, it's the first time he's spoken this entire time. I still don't look up, I don't want their pity. "Let's just get this over with," I mumble to the both of them.

Rhys looks at me with something I can't place, and then disappears in the blink of an eye. I turn to look at Lorcan... who's of course already walking away, not bothering to wait up for me.

"Where are we going to train?" I half stumble over myself in the snow, its deeper than I first thought.

"Right over here, there's a clearing where nothing will be hurt."

"Besides you." I whisper to myself, not expecting him to hear me, but he somehow does and says, "No, not me because you will learn how to control it. Control is the main goal here, knowing how powerful you are is secondary."

I'm walking beside him, careful not to make any sort of contact when he snaps his fingers in front of me snapping me back to reality, "I asked if you were okay." I hadn't even realized he was talking to me.

"Caring about my well being now, what have you done with the real Lorcan?" I snort at myself and the stupidity of the question.

"I don't-" He cuts himself off, and then continues to say, "I just don't usually get stuck with the people they want to help."

"I didn't ask to be stuck with anyone either, you know." I snap at him.

He blows out a breath, and I watch it cloud in the cold air in front of him. He was a very tall male, much taller than most've I've ever seen. I have to crane my neck up just to meet his glare when I feel like it. I just kept walking beside him, letting the silence grow louder as we neared the clearing.

As we stopped at the edge of it, he looked to me and gestured for me to walk forward.

Alone.

"You're not coming?" I question him and he shakes his head, "Why?"

"Because I need to observe from a distance what you're capable of, don't worry, you'll be fine. I'm right here."

"I've got nothing to lose anyways." I say without a look back, and walk into the middle of the clearing. Everything around the area is completely covered in a thing layer of white snow, no other footprints besides mine and Lorcan's visible. The trees that outline the area all still, as if waiting to see too.

Might as well give them a show.