Chapter 46: Moments Rushed

It's been a week since my encounter with Lorcan. A week since I saw him for the last time ever.

It's a pity that our last time together was spent fighting.

I drop onto the ground softly and scan my surroundings, looking for anyone or anything that could cause any harm to me. Deeming the area safe enough, I unload my pack and set camp for the night.

As I sit there and watch the fire crackle and pop, and listen to the crickets chirping for the night, I'm hit with a sudden wave of nausea. I quickly bring a hand to my mouth and stomach, hoping to not throw up the very little amount of food that was in my system already.

I think back to the rabbit I ate yesterday, coming to the conclusion that I must've caught a bad one with a disease or something. With how my luck has been, I wasn't the least bit surprised. Slowly getting up to hopefully not invoke any vomiting, I walk over to the stream I saw not too far back and strain my ears to listen for any sign of danger.

It takes only a few minutes to finally find the stream, the water lapping over the rocks creates a serene sort of sound. The peacefulness of the scene allows me to crouch at the edge of the water and lap it into my hands and drink.

The water is crisp and refreshing as I drink my fill, as well as filling a canteen I brought with me. I don't need to rush back to camp, so I sit there and just let my mind relax as I listen to the sounds that surround me. I listen to the distant insects buzzing, the birds that chirp to each other, the flapping of heavy wings against the wind from the birds.

It's been a very long time since I've had a moment like this, and I'm in no mood to rush it.

I let my mind wander about, to everything I learned lately to my feelings for Lorcan to what I'm going to do. My life has been such hell lately.

And it's about to get worse.

I hear a snap not too far off to my left, I act oblivious to whoever is stalking me. I continue staring off into the distance as if I was unaware, like a deer about to be shot.

The attacker is not cautious when he swings at me, surprised by my retaliation as he was not expecting it. He falls and I point my dagger at him on the ground.

"Who are you?" I ask, not a question but a demand.

He stutters when he tries to speak, I notice he's trembling all over. From fear or whatever else I do not know.

"I'm- my name is- is-" he takes a deep breath and seems to focus himself and finally speaks a coherent sentence. "My name is Peter."

A common know. He's probably lying.

"Well, Peter, what are you doing here?" A smirk playing on my lips as I see the fear on his facial expressions.

"I was- I-" again, he stutters.

Frustrated already, I grab onto the collar of his shirt and hoist him up into the air, his feet dangling from the ground.

The way his fave contorts from mild fear turns into pure terror as he spots the wings unfurling from my back. I feel his trembling body through my hold on him, I also hear his frantic heartbeat in his chest.

I can also feel his life, as if it was a palpable thing to hold and caress.

"I'll ask one more time nicely. After that won't be so pretty for you."

"Okay okay! I'm just looking for supplies, I've been out here for a bit and have nothing. You looked like someone easy enough to steal from!" The words rush from his mouth as his answer tries to please me to save him from my anger.

I closely inspect his tattered and filthy clothing, the dirt under his nails and the smell of body odor that clearly hasn't been washed well for a while.

I lean in closer to him, to let him see clear and well the power I hold within me, "If I found out you're lying, you'll wish your existence had never happened."

I drop him onto the ground as he scrambled to stand up and right himself.

As he stands up, I notice that's he's actually taller than me. Not by a whole lot, but by a noticeable amount that I have to slightly tilt my heady up to meet his eyes.

"Thank you." No stutter. Huh.

I don't offer a response back, I left that part of me with remorse or any sort of mercy back at Velaris.

I grab my canteen off the ground and begin walking back to my makeshift camp to get ready to leave again. I don't look back but can hear Peter's footsteps follow me.

I turn around as he stops two feet behind me, "Why are you following me. I didn't kill you. Now go away."

He doesn't budge or look like he's about to move, so I find an incentive to get him going.

I focus on his heart, the heart that is still beating well and full in his chest and slowly start to slow it down.

He notices as his eyes go wide and he begins to take deeper breaths, "What are you doing?"

I stop and stare at him, "Go away. Last warning."

I begin to walk away again, but I hear his footsteps again. This man was either really stupid or really stubborn. One or the other would eventually get him killed, by me or someone else.

I turn around again to give him the killing he's asking for when he puts his hands up and quickly says, "Please don't. I just need someone to help me. I have nothing and you seem to be better off than me."

I ponder his words, I could just leave him and whatever happens would not be on me. I could take him, and be slowed down. Never the less also be annoyed probably. The part of me I no longer have says to take him. But the part I dwell on says leave him.

However the words that come out of my mouth are, "Only if you don't annoy me, because if you do I'll kill you." I smile and it creeps him out as he nods and looks away.

We make our way back to camp, and pack up what little belongings I have.

He looks around and asks, "So, how are we traveling?"

I look at him and give him my full attention which he fidgets under.

I answer with a cold smile on my face, "We're flying."