Chapter 30: No Sunshine

"No, we can't let them cross over the river or it'll be that much harder to beat them. But as long as she doesn't know who or what she truly is, we'll be fine." A pause, "Looks like sunshine's finally awake."

A clap echos and my cheek suddenly stings, "Rise and shine! Or more like just rise, because there'll be no sunshine for you."

I stir awake, everything that happened in the last 24 hours, or month slams back into me. I was with the Commander, I open my eyes and see nothing but dungeon walls. Great.

He snaps his fingers in front of my face to capture my attention, but I'm still looking around for the person he was speaking to but find no one. "There you are..." He drawls on, he must love to hear himself talk.

"Where am I?" My voice comes out raspy, from the lack of hydration I'm feeling in my parched throat.

"You, my dear, are in one of my outposts surrounding the kingdom." He says it in a tone suggesting that it should be quite obvious. Well it's hard to tell when you're underground and delirious.

I groan, everything in my body hurts. He notices my pain and walks closer to me, stopping just short of my reach, even while I'm in chains he is still a coward. He grabs my chin hard, hard enough that I know that it'll bruise, "You miserable bitch. I should kill you and be done with it, but you're far too valuable."

I stare hard at him, letting all of my hatred towards him show, "Why don't you let me out of these chains and I'll show you just how much of a bitch I am." I smirk at him, he grips my chin harder in response.

He begins to laugh, his breath reeks of stale alcohol and chewed tabasco. "You really are a fighter, aren't you? It's funny, considering you weren't so resistant when I fucked you."

His words echo in my head, setting me off, I thrash against the chains holding me back. He laughs at me again, if I weren't chained, I'd rip him apart with my bare hands and enjoy every part of it.

"I WILL KILL YOU!" I scream at him, making my already parched throat even more hoarse. He only walks out, laughing to himself, leaving me alone with this unbearable rage. I shout and shout.

Nothing I do relieves the rage and pain inside of my chest, absolutely nothing. So all I can do is sit here and wait until he decides what to do with me.

I think of the Inner Circle, and what they might be doing right now while I'm stuck here. I wonder what Lorcan is doing, if he's doing his usual brooding or if he's thinking about me.

I miss him. I miss all of them.

——————————

Drip. Drip. Drip.

The incessant dripping of the water from the high cavernous ceilings to the floors are driving me insane. I try to prop myself into a better position, but fail again.

Instead of hurting myself any more that I already have, I sit my back against the wall, close my eyes and dream of the things that I could never have. I let myself imagine this one time that I could have a better life where I could grow to love someone without fearing they'd be ripped from me. That maybe I could've grown close to a family and let them be my home. That maybe I could've had someone love me just as much as I loved them.

I let myself dream.

I let myself dream, because I was not going to come out of this alive. I was going to die here fighting, and I was going to take down the Commander and as many of his men with me. I breathed a deep and heavy breath, exhaling all off my worries and doubts along with it.

I prepared my mind for battle, for my last stand against such horrid men. If they could even be called men for what they did escaped the definitions of humanity in men.