𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟒

CHAPTER FOURTEENtoleration

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
toleration

I STRUGGLED TO catch my breath as Rafe and I finally stopped running, reaching his car. My body flopped into the seat once he opened the door for me, exhausted from the 2 minute run.

"See, Mills. This is why you should stop smoking." the boy laughed at me.

"Shut up." I scoffed breathlessly.

The radio switched on to the sound of a cheesy pop song, making me dance in an attempt to wind him up. I rolled my window down all the way, ensuring the sound could be heard through the Figure 8 roads.

A warm breeze hit my hair through the window, the strands flowing over my face messily. The more I tried to contain my hair, the faster Rafe drove; the wind increasing with his speed.

"Do you have to do that?" I turned to face him, my hair scattered all over my head.

"You look like an idiot." he shook his head, laughing to himself.

"Thank you, as if I couldn't tell already."

"You're welcome."

Within a matter of minutes, I noticed the scenery change as Rafe drove out of Figure 8 and onto the highway. The harsh noise of cars made me cringe, rolling up my window instantly. I slumped back into the leather seat, looking up to read the road signs- seeing we were heading for the mainland.

"You're taking me out of the island?" I sat up in excitement, having never left Kildare before.

"Ding ding ding." he said in a sing-song manner.

"Must say, you're starting to surprise me, Cameron."

"Not so predictable anymore, am I?"

"We'll see about that."

I rested my head on the dashboard of the car, folding my arms underneath to provide some comfort. Ever since I was a child, I could never sit still for long amounts of time- and clearly it still stuck.

Remembering the pack of Marlboro Red's in my back pocket, I pulled it out and placed it in my lap, trying to avoid flattening it with my body weight. I let one of the sticks rest in between my lips, trying to find a lighter in the meantime.

"Can I help you?" Rafe asked, noticing my actions.

"You could, but you won't."

"And what makes you think that?"

"Like I said," I turned to face him, "you're a predictable person."

Knowing the phrase annoyed him, I repeated it for the 3rd time, the reaction on his face making me smile. I watched the boy shake his head, biting down on his bottom lip as he pathetically attempted to hide his defeated smirk.