𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟕

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN obsession, devotion, destruction

obsession, devotion, destruction

"I FEEL LIKE I'm interrupting something." JJ spoke up, his body stood frozen only a few metres away from me and Rafe.

I stepped back awkwardly at the sound of his voice in an attempt to cover up what had actually happened. My bare foot made contact with a twig on the dirt ground, the sheer pain I felt causing me to mutter a series of profanities under my breath.

"You've got a lot of balls showing up here," he resumed, glaring at Rafe. "you with Topper?"

"Topper's here?" my head moved sharply in JJ's direction, distracting myself from my injury.

"He is, indeed. He's also the reason we have to take John B to the ER, the dipshit pushed him off the Hawk's Nest."

The expression on my face dropped immediately at the news of the accident. I was certainly someone who was familiar with Topper, but I always took him as the kind of person to be all bark and no bite. However, putting 2 and 2 together made me realise that he had probably found out about Sarah cheating on him, which would explain the damage inflicted on John B.

It was far from excusing it, but for a person like Topper, it definitely provided a clear explanation.

"What great friends you have." I turned around, the stare I possessed being identical to JJ's.

"I'm not responsible for Top's shit, okay?" he shrugged defensively.

"Fuckin' Kooks, man." the blonde boy shook his head, placing his arm around my shoulders. "C'mon Cami, we can't leave without you."

As much as I knew it would be the right thing to go, I couldn't stomach stepping foot into another emergency room after what happened to May. Her incident was still an open wound to me, and revisiting anything that had to do with that night would be like pouring salt directly into it. I had a deep hatred for hospitals ever since my dad's death, and I only seemed to hate them that much more.

"JJ." I placed my hand on top of his, gently removing it from around my body.

"That's my name." he replied, not grasping what I was trying to communicate to him

"I can't go."

He briefly stopped once I let go of his hand, returning his gaze onto Rafe. I was always aware of the fact that JJ hated Kooks, possibly more than I did, but I had never seen him look at one with half as much hatred as he did now. His pupils moved up and down, looking as if his glance could burn into his body.

"What the hell did you say to her?" JJ inched closer to Rafe, not shifting his expression for a single moment.

"He didn't do shit." I pulled him back, partially lying in the process. "I've got work tomorrow. And I just don't do hospitals, remember?"