*~𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 23~*

We'd all agreed there wouldn't be a big fuss on my birthday, I mean there never usually was. I never liked the idea of birthday parties, even as a small child. So, it had been agreed, everyone would come round, drop off the presents and then we'd go out for food and go and watch a film in the cinema. Nothing big. So at 11 am, when the doorbell rang, I found Mason stood outside, present and card in hand.

"Happy Birthday!" He stepped in, handing me the package and walking into the living room.

"You're early?" I inquire.

"Yeah, um, I wanted you to open that alone rather than in front of people," he says, causing me to look sceptically at him. I tear away the wrapping paper to reveal a yellow and black SBV Vitesse football shirt with "Mount 19" printed on the back of it. I look between the shirt and Mason, confusion visible on my face.

"I'm going on loan!" He says excitedly, my mouth falls agape in shock and happiness. And soon I'm smiling and hugging him tightly, offering acclamations. That's when the realisation hits me. Vitesse is a club in the Netherlands, meaning Mason would have to go abroad. And selfishly, I'm no longer that excited. I should be, this is amazing news for him. He'll be playing for a first-team. But, knowing that I won't get to see him every day takes away that excitement. But, for Mason's sake, I keep smiling, I keep acting like the distance between me and my best friend isn't already affecting me. 

"What about college?" I ask.

"They're going to help me continue my studies over there until May next year, the next season doesn't start till this August," I nod, not really knowing how to respond to the news, "I wanted to tell you first. Oh, and if you're worried about not seeing each other, I promise I can try and facetime you every day," He says, lifting my chin up so my face is on a level with his. 

"Look I'm sorry, I thought it'd be a good surprise,"

"It is, honestly, I'm made up for you, and I love the shirt, I just wish it wasn't so far away," I say smiling, I really did like the thought behind buying the shirt. I hug him tightly.

"When do you leave?"

"Trying to rid of me already? I'll probably head over late July or really early August. Don't worry you've still got months with me before I go," he says, resting his chin upon his knee to be level with my face again, and smiling. I smile back, feeling a bit better about the whole situation when he rests his hand on top of mine. It's a warm gesture, one that fills me with happiness. For a second, I think we're going to have a moment, well that's until my brother comes bursting into the room, causing us to jump away from each other.

"You alright mate? Dan asks as he passes through the room on his way to the kitchen.

"Yeah, you?"

"Yeah," 

"That was the most meaningless conversation ever," I say when Dan is out of earshot. Mason laughs slightly.

"By the way, before I forget, Jody wants a word with you tomorrow," 

"What, am I getting the boot?" I joke.

"And lose his best photographer, I don't think so," he replies, his voice laced with the usual amount of charm.

Everyone else arrives about half an hour later, we spend an hour inside, opening gifts and cards and getting on my parents' nerves and then we're heading out for lunch. My Dad takes us all to our respective favourite fast food restaurants, paying for us all before dropping us off at the cinema to watch 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' with money to buy drinks, sweets and popcorn. Honestly, I should thank my parents more. They're absolutely amazing.

And just to solidify that face, when I get home 2 and a half hours later from what already felt like it had been a perfect day, I'm met with another car in the driveway. My jaw drops and I lean forward to look between my mum and my dad, waiting for some form of confirmation. And I got it when my Mum straight up dangles the keys to it in front of my face.

"Dan got a car for his 17th so it was only fair that you got one too, we've already paid for your lessons to start on Saturdays and Sundays, don't worry it won't get in the way of work or Mason's matches,"

"Thank you, thank you, thank you," I say ecstatically, hugging them both from behind once the car is parked. The car is a small white Vauxhall Astra, not something too expensive, just something to get me to and from work once I've got my license. This, on top of my other presents, Mason's amazing news and time spent out with friends had made my 17th my best birthday yet.

A/N:

I really didn't like the last four paragraphs of this, it just feels rushed, but I can't come up with much better. I really had no plan for this chapter at all. Sorry!