2.

Rumors

edited on : 22/8/2021 (Sunday)

words : 1074

★★★★★

"Incendio.

Screaming could be heard right after Ariana Hart cast the spell. Someone's cloak was apparently caught in a small fire, creating havoc in the hallway. 

Time and time, she never failed to prove that she was indeed a Slytherin. Sly and cunning. 

"Who is the one casting that spell?! Don't let me catch you." McGonagall's stern voice echoed down the corridor.

"Are you trying to get yourself a detention, Ariana?" Addison smacked Ariana in the back of her head. Worried of being caught, she dragged Ariana away from the scene.

"Oh, I am! You must be brilliant if you know my intention!" Ariana giggled.

"Hah... I certainly know your obsession with Snape. What will you do, however, if Slughorn is in charge of your detention instead?" Addison continued, causing Ariana to stop giggling and instead wear a frown.

"Oh, yes... Do you think Professor McGonagall would let Snape be in charge of the detention if I admitted that I was the one who cast the spell?" Ariana hummed as she considered the possibilities. She wouldn't mind sitting in with Slughorn for detention, but she preferred Severus. Imagine how many topics she could bring up with her Potions professor.

Addison let out a huge sigh, she didn't know what more to say to the girl in front of her. How could such a bright student be so smitten with the grumpy dungeon bat, Severus Snape? It's been exactly 6 years and her friend never gave up. She tried so hard to catch Severus's attention. She was definitely loud in class and was well-known for constantly raising her hand to answer questions in the Potions class.

Let's just say, she was certainly a celebrity during this time. Harry Potter who?

Despite the fact that she excelled in subjects like Charms and Transfiguration, Ariana was uninterested in all of them except Potions mainly because of Severus.

Addison had heard a lot of rumors about the Potions Master, and she wasn't sure if she should tell Ariana or not. But... her instinct told her to do so.

"Hey, I just got back from the library and I heard something interesting." Addison wiggled her eyebrows, trying to catch Ariana's attention. 

"What?" 

"You know the story of The Boy Who Lived?" Addison asked as she pulled Ariana away to the Black Lake, terrified of being seen with the girl who had just caused havoc earlier by lighting fire on someone's cloak. 

"Oh yes. I know. The boy who survived the attack." Ariana nodded. Who wouldn't know that story? Harry Potter was considered a celebrity in the Wizarding World. But he was left with a lightning-shaped scar on his forehead and a nickname: "The Boy Who Lived." 

What Ariana did know was, Harry Potter survived because of Lily Potter's protective enchantment. 

She shielded her son when He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named unleashed the Killing Curse, causing it to bounce back and disintegrate his physical body. 

Harry Potter survived the attack.

However... James and Lily Potter never did make it out alive, which was a tragedy. Ariana remembered reading it somewhere when she was a kid. Every time she read it, her heart shattered into a million pieces. She didn't even know who they were!

"Do you wanna know something? According to rumors, Severus Snape was Lily Evans' childhood friend, and he was... I mean, still love her to this day."

Seeing how Ariana was stunned, Addison decided to continue.

"Yeah, Snape is very much still in love with Lily Evans, the mother of Harry Potter. I'm assuming his Patronus is the same as hers as well, but of course, it was only a rumor and assumption of mine." Addison continued as she shrugged.

The Patronus Charm. It was widely regarded as advanced magic. It's not even taught in Charms on the Hogwarts curriculum. However, Addison and Ariana had heard about it (or rather, overheard it) from Dumbledore himself, and the young teens were intrigued, so they taught it to themselves. It took them many months before they were able to cast a Patronus at the age of  15.

The majority of witches and wizards are unable to produce Patronuses and to do so is generally considered a mark of superior magical ability.

They were both sitting beneath a tree near Black Lake. Gentle breezes slapping their faces. Ariana was disturbed by what Addison had said. Hearing Severus in love with someone was odd to her. She couldn't imagine her Severus Snape being in love with someone else. 

"Hello, fellas! I'm assuming you're talking about Snape." Leo went up to the girls and sat next to Ariana. He had just returned from classes and had seen the chaos in the hallway earlier; From what he heard, apparently, someone had cast a spell on someone's cloak, causing it to catch fire. 

"Yeah, the rumors about him."

Leo coughed, before he continued, "Was it about him being a Death Eater? He would totally fit in the role as the Death Eaters."

"Oh! I've heard about that too. But he couldn't possibly be one of them, right? He's not that kind of person." Addison stated calmly. Even if she despised Severus, she would never want for him to go down the path of evil, let alone be a follower for He-Must-Not-Be-Named.

"The fact that he's much kinder to me bothers me too. It's just doesn't sit right with me." Ariana let out a sigh.

Leo stared at her, astounded to hear her say that, "Ariana, he's already deducted almost 100 points from our house in less than a week! I know I mentioned that he was much kinder to you, but you must be blind and oblivious. If things keep going this way, even Hufflepuff might be able to snatch the first place from us."

Addison added, "Don't worry. It's not the first time Slytherin has finished last in the House Cup. Even Quidditch couldn't help." 

Leo bit his bottom lip, forgetting that Slytherin had never taken the lead in the House Cup for the last six years. Now that certainly hurt his ego.

"I know it's my fault, but can you blame me for falling for Snape? All I wanted was for him to at least look at me for once." Ariana huffed as she crossed her arms over her chest, annoyed.

Addison and Leo couldn't help but look at their friend, uncertain of what to say to her.