13.

Knowing the truth

edited on : 4/10/2021 (Monday)

words : 1632

A/N : Is it just me or does this chapter just got darker? No more fluff in this one, I'm afraid.  ٩(˘◡˘)۶

★★★★★

Just the sound of footsteps could be heard in the dimly lit hallway.

A man was swiftly approaching the Headmaster's office. His robe swayed in sync with his stride. He murmured the password, which revealed a secret staircase.

.

.

.

"Ahh... Severus Snape, to what do I owe the pleasure?" Dumbledore smiled when he saw Snape walking into his office.

He set down his quill and put aside his parchment, giving Snape his full attention.

Snape lowered his gaze, closed his eyes, and took a deep breath, determined to tell Dumbledore what was on his mind.

He had to do this.

For Ariana.

"Tell me all there is to know about Ariana Hart," Snape said firmly, loud and clear. There was no hesitation and uncertainty in his voice. He was dead set on learning all there was to know about her.

Whether it was good or bad.

He had a feeling there was a lot more to it than what she had told him. She must be hiding something from him. Knowing Ariana, she had to be keeping an awful secret that involved her loved ones. 

Snape was concerned because her eyes were teary at times, and to make matters worst, she didn't even realize a tear had dropped from her eyes. The secret had to be both dangerous and burdensome for her to act like this. 

Snape intended to find out tonight.

Dumbledore's brow furrowed for a split second before he eventually smiled once again "What would you like to know about her? I assumed you know everything now that she's your lover?"

Snape took a step forward, "Don't act like that. I'm sure you know something. She's been keeping something from me, and you know what it is." 

"I don't believe you should be hearing all these things from me, Severus," the old Headmaster chuckled quietly. He added, "It is all up to her. She is aware of what she is doing, and you are aware that the future can not be altered that simply. It will complicate the situation even more. Everything happens for a reason, Severus."

Snape groaned, "I read her mind, Albus. She's suffering. Her vision recently had become a burden to her."

"Severus, if she finds out about this, she'll be upset with you." Dumbledore rose from his seat and began pacing around the room. His hands were locked together behind his back.

Snape went on, ignoring him. "She'd disappear from my life one day. I'm afraid she'll do something foolish. For our sake."

"How can you be so certain? Besides, her vision is not entirely accurate. Rest assured, Severus." Dumbledore spoke calmly.

"I know her. You know her well enough too. She would sacrifice herself just to keep us safe. She would put her life on the line and you're fine with that?" Snape muttered in frustration as he realized Dumbledore was trying to keep him from learning the truth.