Save Me

The sound of screeching machinery and rapid wheels on metal filled the once quiet cove-like structure of the station. A ripple of footsteps followed shortly, air from the tightly compressed double doors of the train squealing upon their release.

Staring longingly, Jungkook stood on his usual spot in front of the tracks and benches. He kept turning his head around, looking beyond the gargantuan tiled pillars lined up at the station. The day was like every time he would anticipate your presence at Daeheung station, typically wearing white or black clothing paired with his Timberland boots. He gnawed on his lip while keeping his stance, against the people walking past him like opposite sea waves.

However, the only difference in this particular moment, was that your voice was not among the sails of chatter that came with the timely arrival of the train.

Jungkook's breath was caught in his throat, his heart pliant with every beating desire of his soul. Why was he waiting for you across the platform? The semester's over and his English course has finished.

Shoulders of strangers unintentionally collided with Jungkook's in both ways yet he stood immobile; feet planted on the ground firmly and their quick mutters of apologies mute to his ears. Soon enough, the station was empty and the deafening screech of the train's departure racked his cycling rumination.

"What am I doing here?" Jungkook muttered to himself, inaudible to the rest of the world.

Alone and morose, scattered thoughts plagued his mind. His teeth latched on to his bottom lip, continuing his unconscious chewing as he slowly sat down on one of the benches parallel to the tracks. Eyebrows furrowing, a seemingly sharp strike was inflicted on his chest. As Jungkook's thoughts started to become clear like drifting clouds, he realized that it was his heart tightly clenching at the truth.

It dawned on him like the first stroke of sunlight among the sleeping mountains, over and over again.

Jungkook never moved on. He was stuck in the same place wanting the same you, that had painfully but beautifully changed over the years. Throughout the times he was forcing himself to leave his past,
the more it clung and loomed over him than he ever hoped for.

He knew this for a while; but knowing it was simpler than accepting and actually setting it into motion. The truth weighed Jungkook down throughout his days, even in important ones that required the corners of his mouth stretched into a forced and synthetic smile.

"Over here, please!"

The chilly air of usual December mornings bit Jungkook's skin harshly. Despite the long sleeves of his black suit and slacks embracing his form, he could feel the frigid winds blow past him and add to the lacking (but needed) ardor brewing at the pit of his stomach. Nonetheless, he forced a smile in front of the cameras.

"Jungkook-ssi, please look here!" a voice belonging to the seemingly milliards of cameramen and journalists perched on the carpeted steps of Hyundai headquarters, exclaimed.

Mimicking the rays of the sunshine filtering through thick dark skies, Jungkook hid every cloud under a smile and turned to each beckon of the voices. His lips stiffly quirked upwards with the softening of his eyes. He's done this a thousand times ever since he came to Seoul and lived a life away from you, standing in front of the towering building's glass doors. The sound of multiple camera shutters were almost deafening as he tried to ease the creases of his forehead through it.

"Son,"

Bowing his head immediately, Jungkook watched his father and mother slowly climb the steps to the entrance. Cladded in the same formal wear, his parents stood by each of his sides; Mrs. Jeon resting a hand on his left shoulder.