Sea

"Are you Jungkook's girlfriend?"

You instantly grimaced, recoiling animatedly. Shaking your head, you immediately said, "No way!" to Chaewon, one of the girls in your grade who asked the question. Along with other girls who were sitting beside you, Chaewon giggled teasingly.

"Are you sure about that? You're always together that even the care-takers are intrigued." another one teased. They had another round of laughter as your cheeks turned red, betraying you in the process.

Seated on the grass, you watched Jungkook and his friends play soccer. Naturally, some people came to watch and by some— you mean, all the other girls that were crushing on him and his friends. You barely knew them but suddenly, they started talking to you. It was not a surprise that they only approached you because of your best friend; however, they also started questioning your relationship with him even though it was clear as day that all of you were 12-year-olds.

"He's not my boyfriend!" you insisted for the nth time, catching the attention of Jungkook himself.

Basking in sunlight, he looked at you questioningly; raising an eyebrow. You were surprised, eyes widening a fraction at his seemingly glowing form. Growing tense and aware of your surroundings, you flashed him an awkward smile. Jungkook threw you a dazzling one back, shaking his head as the other girls silently squealed next to you.

"Well, if he's not your boyfriend, I want him to be mine." Eunji, a girl who's the same age as you, declared triumphantly. You were somehow close to her, as you ate together when Jungkook ditched you for a couple of months.

"Aren't you getting adopted? Then it's totally not possible," Ara, one of Eunji's closest friends, deadpanned. Eunji scowled at her as she let out a defeated sigh.

"What if Jungkook's into you?" Chaewon asked you once again with gleaming eyes.

Soon enough, the girls had their attention on you. They all stared with curiosity written on their faces as you sat there with your tongue tied into a knot. You weren't used with too much socializing and the effect of this showed in your cowering form. Glancing sideways, you tried to stutter an answer.

"I— I— I don't think so—"

"Do you like him then?!" Eunji pressed on, accidentally raising her voice.

You momentarily froze, feeling your heart beat erratically in your chest. You haven't really told anyone about your crush on your best friend and you weren't actually planning to tell a single soul about it. Eyes widening just like a deer caught on headlights, the other girls gasped in their own assumptions.

"No!" you denied once more, making them exhale loudly. Thankfully, it was silent for a couple of seconds but you could hear the cogs in their brains running endlessly, processing questions to ask you.

"I guess it's good that you don't have a crush on him or something. Isn't Jungkook getting adopted?"

A hanging sound echoed through your ears. Your heart sank, lips parting a little in complete awe. Just like that, you were reminded again of the bittersweet news that you received last month.

Gaze softening, you eyed Jungkook from afar as he ran and kicked the soccer ball to his teammates; lively and ebullient as he should be. His smile reminded you of the day he knew he was getting adopted and you were the first person he told. You both broke into tears mixed with happiness and fear, clinging into each other as if he'd leave right away.

You remembered how both of you started exclaiming the things you've dreamt of doing with a family, jumping up-and-down in pure excitement. After the overwhelming feeling of joy, came the sudden wave of reality that hit you both forcefully— you were getting separated from one another.