Miss Right

The sun was starting to rise slower in the mornings than it did before. Days ended faster too, and the atmosphere became frigid. You and Jungkook sat quietly in class, waiting for the clock to strike noon. The teacher was discussing something along the lines of food chains but you can't seem to concentrate due to the growling of your stomach.

"Don't forget to pass your homework tomorrow."

Right on time, the bell rang loudly along the halls of the tiny school in the orphanage complex. As the teacher dismissed the class, children rose on their feet quickly before dashing outside. You, however, took quite long while packing your things.

"Jungkook, we're playing soccer! Do you wanna come with us?" asked one of the boys your age.

For the past year, Jungkook has gotten closer with boys his age. By the tender age of twelve, you noticed that he became more sociable than before and his interest in sports grew more and more after playing almost everyday. Although he was still shy, his circle of friends grew bigger. At often times, he would ditch you to play with others during lunch time or recess; but at the end of the day, you'd only be a tad bit jealous and afterwards, feel genuinely happy that Jungkook was coming out of his shell.

Even so, you expected that Jungkook would, once again, ditch you during lunch time and run off with his friends today. As months passed by, it wasn't really a big deal anymore; as you could always eat alone peacefully or be with girls your age too— it's just that, you missed having lunch with Jungkook and talking about anything.

"I'll pass. Let's play tomorrow! Have fun!" Jungkook said, waving at his friends by the door of the classroom. "Okay! See ya!" they replied back, smiling at Jungkook and at you.

You raised an eyebrow at your best friend, plastering a confused expression on your face. "Let's go," Jungkook said nonchalantly, beckoning for you to go with him.

"You're eating lunch with me today?" you asked in disbelief. Your eyes twinkled in delight as a smile slowly formed on your face.

Jungkook frowned. He realized that he hadn't eaten lunch with you for months now that doing so was unbelievable. Feeling guilty, he averted his gaze and sighed.

"[Y/N], I'm sorry—"

You already knew what he was going to say; your eyes bulging out of their sockets.

"NO! Don't— i-it's fine! There's nothing wrong with making new friends, Koo! Friends are essential in life, y'know? Especially in this stage where we're... uh... undergoing puberty!" you rambled embarrassingly. Failing to think about your words, you felt your cheeks heat up at your word vomit.

Jungkook giggled, nose scrunching in the process. You were previously in a class where puberty was the topic and that made it funnier for Jungkook. However, he still felt guilty and he couldn't hide that fact. Noticing this, you smiled reassuringly in which he slowly returned with a fond look on his face. Jungkook shook his head sideways, clasping his hand on your wrist.

"Let's go!" he exclaimed, pulling you with him as he ran on his feet.

"Wha— Jungkook!"

You ran through the hallway, unstoppable laughter escaping your lips. Jungkook moved his grip, holding your hand instead as you entered the canteen. Somehow, you felt your heart speed up not just because of running but because of how ebullient you felt. It wasn't too long ago; but running with Jungkook made you reminisce your much younger years with him; and the fact that he was still beside you, strengthened your belief that nothing could ever destroy your friendship with him.