Twenty nine

The door opens to reveal Tucker.

He notices me first, his face shows shock, "What are you—" his eyes drift to Sam and the shock and confusion clears.

"Oh." He says closing the door quickly behind him, "Any reason you dragged Danny into skipping class?"

"Who says I dragged him? He could've come here on his own." Sam says crossing her arms. He deadpans and looks at me for conformation.

I lift my hands in surrender and step back, "Don't bring me into this." Before Tucker could say something back, Sam cuts in. "I had a horrible morning and wanted you guys to make me feel better. Now, where did you hide the fridge?"

"No." He states pointing at her, "You're not doing this to me again." She stands and starts tugging at a corner of a table, looking under the bed, and knocking on large containers the size of a clothes basket. Must be a small fridge.

"Why is she looking for your fridge?" I ask Tucker as we both watch Sam scavenge the room for a fridge. "I snuck a mini fridge in my dorm a while back. We're not allowed to have food up here, so obviously I ignored them. That also means I need to hide it in places no one will think to look."

My eyes briefly glance to what I guess is the bathroom. "Is it in the shower?" I ask.

He shakes his head, "Good guess, but no. That'd be too risky and the shower is glass here." He waves it off. "If she finds it, you'll see where I've hidden it."

Finally something happens for Sam. The mattress lifts from the bed and a hidden compartment is seen. But no fridge. She groans in frustration and slams the mattress back down.

"But why?" I ask him.

"I am a connoisseur of meat, my dear friend. I can't live without it, but she wants to change that. I digress. And so I've hidden it." He explains. I nod along.

Sam puts her hand on the door knob to what I guess is either the closet or bathroom. Tucker's eyes widen a fraction. He's starting to get nervous.

"What happened this morning to make you so upset?" He asks, sweat starting to form on his forehead.

She slowly turns around, her hand releases the door knob. "Obviously you haven't noticed something different about me today, have you?" Sam seethes.

He scans her apparel finally stopping at her head and shoulders. It clicks. He becomes more serious, "It was your mom again, wasn't it?" He asks.

Sam's shoulders slump, the bright pink scarf falls from one of them. She makes her back over to the chair she was sitting at earlier, and plops herself down. "Yes." She sighs.

"She threatened your education again. I couldn't be responsible for you getting kicked out. Even if it costs my dignity." Sam sighs again, but this time in defeat.

He squats down in front of her and puts his hand on her shoulder in comfort. "You don't have to keep doing this you know? I can ask my parents to drive me here every so often. I could get a scooter." Sam snorts at his suggestion.

"You? On a scooter? That'll never happen." Her sadness seems to dissipate at the thought of Tucker on a scooter going down the roads to school with his little helmet and a backpack slung over his shoulders. An amusing thought, I must agree.

He feigns a gasp, "Girls would swoon at the sight of me, thank you very much."

Sam covers her mouth a second too late to muffle the loud laugh. I don't bother to hide my own. Tucker glares at the both of us and stands back up.

"You two are not welcome in the Foley dormitory ever again. Out with you, go out the way you came." He shoos us to the window but we continue to laugh.

"Yeah right." Sam says sarcastically. "You would never get rid of us."