Seventeen

A knock comes to my bedroom door, waking me up.

"It's open." I lean on my elbows groggily from laying on my stomach.

I could've slept longer. Way longer in fact.

I squint from the light spilling into the room through the opened curtains. The door opens to see the good ol' peppy. Vlad Masters's butler.

"Sir Daniel, breakfast will be served in twenty minutes. Sir Masters and the others will be in the dining room shortly." I love his brief visits already. I should learn his name.

I don't bother to shower, not enough time. Instead, I slip on the same jeans from yesterday, different shirt, and rub more deodorant on to be on the safe side.

I remember the struggle from last night and the hallways I've memorized. I even wrote the directions to my room from the stairs on my hand. Now all I need to do is go to opposite way. If it says left, I go right. And then vice versa.

I get to the stairs fairly quickly. Wow, I did something right for a change.

I could just slide down the rails to make this quicker, but I don't for a few reasons. One, Vlad wouldn't appreciate it, even if I don't care for his opinion I want to go to college. Two, I don't know how. And three, I'm not comfortable here enough to actually try.

Instead, I walk.

I reach the dining room. Seated are Vlad and both of the social workers. They don't notice me and they continue talking. "I'd like to thank you for the clothes and rooms." The-lady-I-have-yet-to-learn-the-name-to says. I'm not going to bother at this point, I'm too far gone. It's been two days. But I'm also the guy who didn't bother to learn their teacher's name three weeks in.

I know the guy's name. Mark, but that's about it.

I slowly walk to my place. "Ah, it was no issue. It was my pleasure to assist the ones who brought me Daniel." Vlad says not looking my way.

Three feet from my seat, they finally notice me.

"Wonderful timing Daniel." Vlad smiles at me. Wow, I hate this guy. Be nice Danny, be nice. Think of college. Think of your big bedroom.

"They were just getting ready to leave once breakfast was over." I see Mark nod, "It was cool talking to ya, kid." He gives a friendly grin. The lady soon follows his actions with a small nod.

Breakfast goes by quickly and the guests are ready to leave. Wow, I just realized I'm stuck here. I will be living with a potentially crazed-up billionaire who wants my parents' stuff.

Again, wouldn't care to give them to him if I knew what he wanted with them. They're weapons. Mean ghosts sure, but I have friends in the ghost zone.

Also what ever happened to Clock-buddy from the alley? I still have his amulet... thing. I keep it tucked under my shirt's neckline. And this morning I almost forgot I had it on. I've grown attached to the strange accessory given to me by a strange ghost.

Even through all the time in court and hanging out with Ember, I've worn it.

It's weird being able to say I have a friend. Ghost or not, I have a friend. The lunch lady is nice and I hung out with Ember a lot back in Amity.

I haven't had another visit from Clocky yet, and I'm not so sure I ever will again. Maybe he's waiting till I find the stranger or never wants to visit me again. He probably found I was a lost cause and was glad I chose the stranger instead of going to the ghost zone with him.

I wouldn't blame him honestly. I've branded myself as a lost cause long ago.

But I also have to remember my promise to myself. Be better for Jazz. Repay her and make her proud of her little brother.