Twenty

The limo ride back to Vlad's mansion only consisted of him handing me a printed paper of my schedule and reminding me of my new morning run.

"I'll slow you down." I warn him.

"You're not getting out of this just because of that." He say crossing his arms and legs.

I shrugged. Well I tried and he didn't listen. He was warned and now he has to deal with the consequences.

We pull up past the large and approachingly familiar gate of the Masters' mansion.

I get out of the car-blah blah blah and now I'm in my room. Tada!

Dinner is in a few hours so I have time to do whatever. I could read but I'm not in the mood. Man, I wish Ember was here. No matter how much she talks about her boyfriend and the repetitive story of how they met.

I just feel like company.

I start to hang my uniform and untie my black tie. The shoes and everything else goes on my desk chair. I get in some more comfortable clothes, like my regular tee shirt and baggy jeans.

I keep in mind to conceal the amulet beneath my shirt.

I sit on my bed and get comfortable as I look at the list of classes for the rest of this semester.

Algebra, Astrology, Biology, and Mechanical Engineering. In that order.

Sam said she picked Political and Public Speaking, so I doubt she'd have Astrology or Mechanical Engineering. I can hope to have Algebra or Biology with her. If I was extremely desperate-I kinda am-I would really just want to have lunch together.

The school was huge and the courtyard is big enough to hold several different events. I wonder where she sits during lunch. Outside or in the cafeteria?

Deciding it's pointless in sitting and hoping for a potential classmate, and a little boring, I get up to wander the halls. It would be good to get acquainted with where I am if I ever happen to get lost.

I walk in the opposite direction of the stairs. Surely he has an elevator somewhere around here. More of the armor stands salute on the windowless side of the wall. The large windows let the lowering sun filter in. It's quiet other than the sound of my feet hitting the carpeted hardwood.

A wisp of visible air comes from me. Is it Ember?

I turn around to an empty hall. I didn't see anything in front of me when I sensed it. Skeptical, I turn back around to continue my walk keeping my eyes behind me until I'm facing forward.

Once fully turned, I jump back a step at what I see.

A girl with pale blue skin, wild green hair, a purple scarf, and a bright red jacket and skirt over black fishnet stockings and boots. She stands a good five feet away with her arms crossed. Her expression was that of curiosity.

Red eyes, purple lips, and a generous amount of eyeliner stare back at me.

"Hi." I say breaking the silence. I bring up a hand in a greeting manner for a second before bringing it back down.

"Sup." She says resting her hands on her hips. "Have you seen Johnny anywhere?" She asks.

"Who's Johnny?" I ask her.

She sighs in exasperation, "He's my boyfriend. Long hair, motorbike, dreamy." Her dreamy sigh followed her description.

"No, but I do have a question." I say. She nods. "How did you get in here?" One of the resting hands is stretched out and pointed to the ground.