Sixteen

I did what I planned to do. 6:50pm came around and I decided to roam til I hit the stairs. I made it and reappeared behind a decorative standing armor suit.

They're everywhere. In every hall I've searched.

Going down the stairs were a lot easier and seven o'clock is much closer now. It has taken me several minutes to get where I am.

I get to the bottom of the stairs and look left then right.

Now where do I go?

I hear footsteps to my left and peek around the arch. I see Vladimir walking out of what looks like a study. He has a library. Not surprised. I mean, why should I? He's a billionaire.

I take a step back from the arch and act like I didn't see him. I'm still standing in the front entryway though, next to the mile-high staircase made from hell.

I hate those things. Every time he's not looking, I'm flying to my room. Once I get that ability figured out of course.

"Hello Daniel." I turn to see Vladimir in the same rich-looking suit and tie from before. "Lost?"

Oh my golly gosh! How did you ever figure that out?! I would give him a deadpan look but this guy can make my miserable life even more miserable.

I cross my arms, "Well, I must've missed the tour from before you showed us to our rooms." Stupidstupidstupidstupid, congrats Danny-you just ruined any chance of getting your college money from this guy.

Summer jobs are a thing and you get to have a job Junior year. That's something you'll get to look forward to!

Instead of a remark from the guy in his mid-forties, he gives a chuckle. "I do suppose it slipped my mind. I am a busy man after all." I walks across the hall to the right archway. "Follow me then." Past the living room is the dining room. And I guess past that is the actual kitchen.

The table stretches far, fit for many people if not an entire restaurant. He likes guests I presume. There are four set plates.

Him, the social workers, and me. This'll be weird. I haven't eaten at a table with people, other than my sister, in a while.

I sit at a random plate and unfortunately, closest to the end seat. His seat. I would move a seat down but with my luck, there is not one available with a plate, glass, and silverware.

Oh whatever. It's highly unlikely he wants to talk to me. His charity work-"So, what exactly happened with you and your parents?" So his reason for fostering me is to find out about my parents. To get closer? To get dirt? What does he want from me?!

"Not much. I'm sure it's on my files. Or the news." I mumble the last bit. But I'm sure he heard in this quiet and almost echoey room.

"I do hope we become closer. You will be staying here for a while after all." He shrugs then snaps his fingers over his shoulder. "If you will so kindly show our other guests to the dining room, that would be most appreciated." He says to a pale maid. She almost seems blue.

She nods and her heels click quickly out and fades out of range.

"I do have a matter to discuss with you and the others that concerns you. It would be great if you voiced your opinion." He says unfolding a napkin from his plate and onto his lap.

I guess I also missed etiquette class along with the tour.

Thankfully only a couple of have passed since the woman left to fetch the social worker guests. Mark and someone-else-I-don't-know-the-name-to-and-haven't-bothered-to-ask lady. They both sit across from me, Mark closest to Vladimir.