Fourteen

The court case went well in our favor. Jazz was with me the whole way through, thankfully, but she has to go back to college in a couple of days. She's been taking the online classes while she's been with me I came to found out during the wait of the court day.

Jack and Maddie will be sentenced to a decade in jail. By that time, I'll be old enough to be far, far away from them.

Thank God.

I got to stop faking my ankle injury a while back. But nightmares are frequent, and I avoid friction when near medal. The smallest of shocks put me on edge.

And I think I've made my first friend. Ember kept her word and visited me the next day. Because of her being a ghost, I told her of my new Danny Phantom thing. She was shocked, but brushed off like it was totally normal.

I also told her about the whole 'orphan' thing. I think I'll have some company while Jazz's away and I'm at the group home or somewhere else that houses orphans and foster kids.

She showed me how her song was already on the radio. It was called Remember. I congratulated her and complimented her on her skills.

She even offered to teach me guitar once I get my own, probably never but one can dream. On the other hand she is teaching me to sing better. It's been fun with her company.

But stressful when we had to be quiet when the ghost hunters or Jazz was home. Ember's a loud person.

And talkative, very talkative.

She mostly talks about her concerts and her hunter boyfriend named Skulker. He sounds very... interesting.

It's been good over all though. I've seen less of my biological parents and now I never have to see them again if I don't want to.

And it's never turned out well for me.

I know it's gonna get worse because I have to go back to school as soon as I get to an assigned shelter. New school or not, it'll be bad.

Bullies. No friends. And now, no actual home. I don't mind the last one as much as the others though. It's just something else to add to the list of 'don't have.'

But the list did get shorter after the accident. Ghost abilities is something I did not expect to happen. I don't think anyone in their right mind would expect it either.

This isn't something I'd admit to anyone, but I have snuck into the locked basement to take a few weapons. I'll figure out how to use them eventually, they don't really come with instructions.

My 'parents' aren't ones for safety and adept rules any competent adult would follow. And I suppose they worked with some weird people because bald men in white suits with dark sunglasses searched the lab for nothing in particular. They put caution tape on the thick metal and said 'property of the Guys In White.' Apparently a secret government branch. Their profession stands with capturing ghosts.

Now that I myself am one, we can't have that.

And they seem like jerks, so they certainly don't have my respect.

While I was down there, just in spite of them, I turned the machine off and sealed the doors shut. I smashed completed and uncompleted projects alike. Schematics and blue prints replaced with blank sheets of copy paper I found on some shelves by yours truly. I decided to keep the schematics and blueprints.

They're folded and tucked safely in my binder.

Any information on the computers were wiped clean and downloaded on hard drives that I've also taken the liberty to steal. Let's just say the video the computer plays when turned on will be most pleasing.