Fifteen

The two adults alternated driving shifts. We stopped every some so often to grab a small snack, gas, and to go to the restroom. The lady slept til our first stop and it went on from there.

We start to drive in the more wealthy part of a Wisconsin town. We must be pretty far. No rich person would waste their money on me. They're too rich to have a kid as a burden.

"We're close, kid. Then we'll all get to stretch our legs." He says with a light chuckle. Maybe trying to not switch to a tense atmosphere or lighten the mood. He was nice, and so was the lady. The drive here wasn't half bad.

"There it is, Mark. That house there." The woman in the nice, casual outfit says to the man in the drivers seats, now known as Mark, pointing to a mansion bigger than Amity itself right down the road.

I don't doubt if I'm gaping at the sight of the nearly-castle mansion. The stranger lives here?

The small car must stick out like a sore thumb compared to the several high gated mansions on both sides of us. It's definitely not a first class kind of ride.

"We're here. Welcome to your new home." The lady smiles at me not unkindly turning her head. She looks back to the entrance.

Before we even get to the black, metal gate, it opens and we drive on.

The yard was huge and fenced up for privacy. It has a horseshoe road and bushes lining the driveway. It even has the stereotypical shaped trees and bushes close to the windows of the mansion.

Coming down the steps was a man in his early forties with silver hair in a low ponytail.

He's one of America's forefathers. No wonder he's so rich. But the weird thing is, the first word that comes to mind when I see him is 'fruitloop.'

We stop at the bottom of the stairs and a very sophisticated butler opens the front passenger door. The unnamed lady thanks the man and meets the man on the last few steps.

Muffled greetings can be heard and unnoticed by me at first, Mark is greeting him too.

Should I get out or wait for a sign I can go to them? I'll just wait. It'll be less embarrassing to wait and watch than get out and be unneeded. I sit there.

Finally, Mark waves his hand for me to come looking over to where I'm at. I rigidly take the door handle taking a breath.

The door pops open and I step out.

I get a better look at Vladimir. It looks like he's wearing eyeliner on his waterline. I'm surprised he didn't decide to draw a wing with the rest of his makeup. He wearing a regular black suit. Definitely expensive and screams superiority.

"Nice to meet you sir." I say holding out a hand for him. He takes it with a firm shake. "You too, Daniel."

I hate my full first name.

"I must say you look nothing like your mother." He says letting go of my hand and folding them behind his back. I don't know what the expression on my face is but I quickly try to mask it behind a blank look. "Good." I say plainly.

The less I look like her, the less of a reminder that I'm nothing more than an accident, mistake, and failure. I'm a loser who doesn't have loving parents and no future.

"How do you know them?" I ask. If he knows that I don't look like them, he must've known them. He must be like them. I guess they're all buddy-buddy, aren't they? This'll be just like it was in Amity, just a lot bigger and more expensive.

"We were friends in college. But then an accident occurred on one of our experiments. Did they ever finish that portal?" He asks. I frown at all of what he said.