Eight

His match is today and I'm the one that has been panicking for about a week now. I have no doubt in Nick's skills, I know he's one of the best players on the team. It's just that I'm worried the other team might be more capable than they're expectations. To be honest, I was doing perfectly fine before I decided to look up the other team. They have never, like ever lost a match, maybe once, but that was against a German school, and Germans are tall, like really tall. My high hopes are for our team to at least score a few balls.

"Just try avoiding talking with him before the match." Olivia says while flipping on the bed. Having curly hair is almost the friendliest type when in a rush, I don't have to do much with my hair but to just let it down and apply some cream. But that, too, feels harder today. I drop the bottle from my hand and sigh "I'm just worried he would blame himself for ages if anything goes wrong."

"That's Nick we're talking about." She stands up to leave, again "He'll eventually come around." She's right, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't worry about my best friend. Nick might seem cold and careless but no one has ever tried looking beneath this tensile face of his. I've known him since the second my lungs first took in air, I know what he goes through and how his mind never lets anyone take the blame but him.

People only like his visible stars, but me I've dug beneath the sunken soils of his secrets, and treasured the core I found.

I was supposed to go with Adam, but Marty didn't want to be there early like her parents are so I'm taking her. I told him I'll meet him there, though. Meeting there somehow felt like those dates we see in movies, which is something I would want but if we're counting Adam and I meetings as dates, then I've been on multiple dates with him. I don't think a date would be called a date if the guy didn't officially ask the girl for it, or even the girl ask the guy.

I grab my jacket after checking the time on the clock, almost half an hour left for the match so I don't think Marty would fight me when I tell her it's time to go. The girl is turning into the fifth sister we never had. 

We arrived ten minutes before the start of the match. I dropped Marty off with her parents then went to look for Adam who's currently talking to a boy from the other school. I'm sitting two benches above them, watching him happily interacting with the other guy. I'm glad he's starting to make friends, though he's extroverted but he never really talks to anyone. I made him know that I'm here but insisted to leave him with his new friend. So much joy rushes through my body seeing him laughing the way he is now, totally ready to pay my life so that this laugh of his could be permanent. My phone is the only thing I can have until the game starts, besides Adam's ringing voice.

Ashley: what does it feel like having a crush on someone?
Carson: exactly the same way you're admiring Adam
Carson: watch out cause you're too obvious.

I snap my head around me like a meerkat, trying to scan for Carson in between the crowds. I find her on the opposite side smirking at me. It breaks my heart that she isn't were she's supposed to be, in the fitting room with the rest of the cheerleaders. I beckon for her to come but she looks down in her phone and types something. My vibrating phone is the indication it was me she was talking to.

Carson: I'll leave you to your date
Carson: he'll turn to you sooner or later
Ashley: not a date -_-
Carson: c'mon, we both know you want it to be

I feel myself gaining too much heat. I rub my palms to my cheeks so no one would see me blushing, especially that boy coming my way from two seats in front. He drops on the seat beside me, lips pulled from ear to ear as he waves to the other boy while he escalates the stairs. I realize that the match is starting, so that's obviously why the guy travelled to the other side. The cheerleaders pour through the gym, blinding bright clothes and overwhelming energy. I take a quick glance at Carson, but she's lost in her phone, obviously avoiding the scene she was supposed to be a part of. Girl needs a hug. It just hit me now that I've never hugged Carson, though we've friends for about three or so months, and I'm usually a hugger. Maybe I'm just waiting for the right time to give her the sincerest hug.