Twenty-Eight

I'm still staring at him questioning my mind whether I'm awake or I've slipped back to my sub-consciousness and my tendency to avoid harsh reality. He's alive, smiling at every other smile decorating this room. Doctors said he wasn't going to come out alive, and if he did, which was a small chance, he would've been terribly damaged. Yet he's here, he's perfectly healthy, and not a thing missing from him.

Apart from the fact that he still can't talk well and is too weak to move, this is just a temporary condition.

I smile as Mr. Ahn takes a seat beside me, his face completely exchanged with the gloomy dead eyes I've seen an hour ago. He's brighter, and a beam hasn't left his face since I came out yelling at everyone that Sam is awake.

"Want to know something?" He asks as he looks at me a fraction before he fixes his eyes back at his son as if one blink and he'll be gone "After we had Samson, doctors told us that it's impossible to have another child. My wife almost died delivering him, and there were too many miscarriages before him." He sighs and coils his finger together, remembering this alone is torture, nevertheless saying it out loud? He pauses for a second, still not removing his eyes away from Sam "Until, one day my wife suddenly finds out that she's nineteen weeks pregnant and it's too late for anything to be done. We spent days crying, praying, and knowing that I'll probably lose my wife in a few weeks wasn't easy. And her knowing that she was about to die or lose another child killed her slowly every day." He pauses once more, but this time he turns around and smiles at me "Yet, Samuel came with no trouble. He was delivered normally, weighed normal, and barely got ill. He was nothing like we had expected him to be. He was a normal child, he grew up healthy, cheerful, and respectful, might've been a little bit of a trouble-maker at sixteen and seventeen but we're glad we got over that." I know, I have been there. We both chuckle as we direct our attention back to Sam "And even when I thought I lost him, he came back once more to save me, just like he did twenty years ago when I lost Samson. Don't you think he's a miracle in the form of a human?"

"He is." I smile as I pat Mr. Ahn's hand. Sam has always saved everyone around him, even when he least has a clue about it yet he does. It's just his nature, something that's rare to find in someone anymore "He truly is." He did it again today, everyone was grieving and some were losing a bit of themselves, yet he made sure to return the smiles back to us, even if for a second.

I might start to believe his parents when they say he is a fallen angel, but I remind myself that he has a demonic side that his parents have probably never seen, but I can't say I hate it.

I steal a glance at Adam seated on a chair about a meter away from Sam, he isn't talking, actually has barely said a word since he came in and saw Sam, but the delight painting his face has already said so much. I must say he even looks way better though the last time I saw him was a couple of hours ago. Too much happened since then. And I haven't even told him about the meeting with Mr. Kenneth. To be honest, I myself didn't have much mind on me to think about it, I was more focused on the entire situation and the events dazzling around me that I even had no time to think of any of them. I pretty sure only existed today, my brain didn't have much space to work.

And I'm grateful, else I would've been down to my gut screaming.

Maya has been glued to Sam since she arrived here, with a distance to be exact. Benjamin had to physically remove her from over him a few times, and catch her before she jumped on him when she came running in. Naomi has always known to give matters their appropriate sizes, so despite how over the moon she is that Sam is alive, she's still maintaining a quite aura for the sake of the dead and the sick ones. It's quite obvious the opposite of how Maya is. And for Olivia, she hasn't even walked in once. She's outside and Naomi and I are taking turns updating her, which's definitely not the crying and hugging and maybe even kissing that I've expected to see.