Nineteen

For the first time since years have our house felt so...burdening. Something in the air is weighting over my chest, probably making me feel the urge to run out. My parents have been silent, leaving Olivia to have every time she needs before they spoke to her. We were so exhausted when we arrived yesterday so we went straight to bed without saying anything. But even though our room looked like it was just cleaned up, it seemed as if something was robbed out of it. Our childhood innocence, our pure hearts, our ringing laughs. For the first time in forever have I felt this different, we are different.

I've been sitting here for an hour without saying a word, so has Maya, as Naomi discusses everything with Olivia. More like hear whatever she needs to vent. I've already told her everything I wanted to say that night she came to me buried underneath her tears, but I'm still making sure I'll be there by her side even if I won't say a word. It shatters me every time I look at Olivia, how puffed her eyes are, how dead her face looks. Since the day she came to me, more like moved in with me and she has had her beautiful hair tied in a bun, and probably been wearing the same hoodie she came in.

"Something isn't sitting right." Naomi says as she folds her arms "It doesn't make sense. Sam would never and I mean never cheat on you or even think of it."

"But he did." Olivia's voice comes out as broken as it has been for the past few days "I saw the messages on his own phone."

"Did you even confront him?" Naomi asks her as if this isn't an unspoken rule before taking any relationship decision. I let out a long breath to avoid throwing any pillow to her face. Olivia sighs too "Yes, Naomi, I did. At first he was like 'babe what type of joke is this?' and 'are you insane? Of course not!'. Then after I took his phone and found the text messages, he didn't even say a word." Now that's a part of the story I didn't hear. I sit upright from where I was lying down "Wait, he didn't even deny it?"

"No." She shakes her head "What was he gonna say? It wasn't him? This was his phone, his typing style, totally him. He just watched me leave without a word."

"But Sam has always been with you." Naomi adds, that's a great point actually they're always stuck to each other "Like I don't think he's ever left your sight."

"Well if you exclude college hours and that beach day, you're right." She says.

"I saw him during every second of that beach day." Naomi tells her sliding closer to her "Olives he was with either Maya or Adam all day and you saw him." All of us did, I don't even think there was any second of the day where any of us didn't see him. Sam's presence can never go unnoticed even if isn't within sight. From his loud voice to his high energy it's a Sam thing, there is always something that makes people aware of his presence. And I'm pretty sure there wasn't a moment when he went unnoticed by any of us.

"I did see him all day," She says "But right after that stupid game we played I haven't even seen him once, and when I got to the huts an hour or more later he was asleep."

"Olivia he was with me." I fly to the edge of my seat "He was getting me out of there because it was hella awkward to sit there in front of Dain after everything had happened so we went to the huts." I don't mention the part when I almost broke his knee, not the perfect timing for it but she needs to know that. Whether Sam cheated on her or not, I'm sure it wasn't that day. She rolls her eyes as she sighs "I know, I saw you. But I'm also aware you spent an hour by the shore crying. Just because I gave you your space doesn't mean I didn't notice." Typical Olivia, always noticing the three of us in every single situation. I try to protest but her words gave no room for anything else to be said. I can't defend him because I'm not certain he didn't go anywhere once I left, but Adam stayed there of course he would know.