TWENTY

Stephanie could feel burning sensations as the water from the shower made contact with her skin. She was almost sure she had bruised herself with the way she had scrubbed her body all in a bid to wash off the uncleanliness she felt. But despite how she scrubbed, she didn't feel any cleaner. It was as though the dirtiness were a part of her; flowing through her blood. How she hated the feeling.

"Steph, can you hurry up? You've been in there for almost an hour." Chinasa called from inside her bedroom.

Stephanie had moved in with Chinasa this morning at Chinasa's suggestion. She couldn't live with Vanessa and Dami without feeling even more guilty. And even if she tried to pretend that everything was fine with her, Vanessa and Dami would be able to read her. They'd probe her until they got the truth out of her and she wasn't ready for that. She could never tell them what she'd done last night. If she did, they'd dislike her and probably stop being friends with her and she wouldn't be able to bear it. Thanks to the fact that it was a Sunday morning, she'd been able to pack a few belongings from her room without any of her roommates being around to question her as they had all gone to church.

"Steph, I just received the alert. Jide has sent the money!" Chinasa squealed loud enough for the people in the neighboring rooms to hear her.

Stephanie grimaced. She felt like telling Chinasa she didn't care. She could have raised the money in an honorable way, not by selling her body and bringing upon herself this guilty feeling that just wouldn't go. She'd noticed that Chinasa had given Jide her own account details and not Stephanie's, but Stephanie was too tired to care. She felt like screaming and crying, anything to get rid of these horrible feelings.

"Stephanie, did you hear me?" Chinasa called.

"Yes, I did." Stephanie dried her body with a towel and wrapped her body in it. She came out of the bathroom to meet Chinasa fully dressed. Chinasa's eyes were glued to her mirror as she applied some lipstick.

"You need to be featured in Guinness book of records," Chinasa said. "The lady who spends one hour taking her bath."

"You're going out?" Stephanie ignored her remark as she applied some lotion on her skin.

"We are going out" Chinasa looked in her direction. "The guy selling your body enhancement pills and bleaching cream said we could come and get them today since we have the complete money." She grinned.

Stephanie felt like screaming 'no'. Chinasa definitely didn't understand that she hadn't gotten any sleep last night. Not with the sound of Jide's snores and the weight of his torso on her body all in the name of a cuddle. But if she was being honest, she wouldn't have gotten any sleep even if Jide had left her all by herself. The condemning thoughts and guilty feelings that kept tormenting her wouldn't have afforded her any sleep.

"Aren't you going to say something?" Chinasa asked.

"I'm too tired, Chinnie. I don't think I can go out." Stephanie spoke as she put on her underwear.

"If it's because of what happened last night, then that's not an excuse." Chinasa frowned. "For your information, I slept with three different men last night, and I'm still strong. You just slept with one and you're acting like this? Please stop acting like a baby and dress up." She began applying her eyeliner.

Stephanie couldn't say a word. She stood agape, staring at Chinasa. How could Chinasa live that kind of life and still feel comfortable?

"I'm sorry I snapped at you." Chinasa spoke softly as she picked up her wig. "I'm doing this for your good, Steph. The body enhancement pills and bleaching cream will begin to show results in seven to ten days. In seven days, you'll be a goddess, Steph. Boys will begin to chase after you and Charles would beg you never to leave his side." She smiled.

Stephanie's heart broke at the sound of Charles' name. It was more than a week since they spoke and he still hadn't reached out. Not like she'd expected him to. Afterall, he'd been ignoring her calls. But it always broke her heart whenever she saw him ogling Chinasa or one of those other curvy, light-skinned girls. It made her feel inferior. Chinasa was right. She'd do what she could to get Charles to look at her in that same manner, then she'll stop feeling inferior.

"Why are you so quiet? I can count the number of words you've spoken to me since morning." Chinasa looked concerned. "Don't worry. Very soon you'll start thanking me." She smiled. "Here, wear this." She handed Stephanie a leather skirt and a crop top.

"Thanks," Stephanie took the clothes.

"Hurry, so we don't keep him waiting."

"Alright," Stephanie put on her clothes thinking of the sleep she was about to forfeit. And wait. She'd also planned to study. Chemistry test was tomorrow morning. Did Chinasa even remember?

"Chemistry test is tomorrow morning. Aren't we going to study?" She said.

"Don't worry about that," Chinasa gave a wave of dismissal. "I already spoke with Joseph. He's agreed to sit with us and tell us all the answers to the questions." She grinned.

Stephanie gasped. First, selling her body, now engaging in exam malpractice? What exactly was she turning into?

Just then, Chinasa's phone rang. Chinasa's eyes widened as she saw the caller ID. "It's Jide." She grinned.

Stephanie's heart began pounding at the sound of his name. She didn't want anything to do with him, and she wished Chinasa could cut ties with him too.

"Hi Jide, we've seen the alert. You're so sweet."

Pause

"Really? Sure. Why not." She grinned at Stephanie, her eyes having its usual mischievous glint.

Pause

"Wow. That's cool. I'll definitely bring her tonight."

"Who?" Stephanie shouted, startling Chinasa. She couldn't stop the frown forming on her face.

"One minute," Chinasa whispered to her. She exchanged a few pleasantries with Jide and ended the call.

"Calm down, Steph," she spoke calmly. "Jide really likes you. He said he loved last night and he's offering to increase the pay just so he could have you tonight."

"No!" Stephanie's shout made Chinasa flinch. And that was it, Stephanie couldn't control the tears any longer. She covered her mouth in an attempt to muffle the sound of her sobs. The perturbed look on Chinasa's face was a sight to behold. Never before, had she seen Chinasa look this way.

"I'm sorry, Steph." Chinasa hugged her and led her to the bed. "I didn't know you were this tired. Lie down and rest."

As soon as Stephanie laid down, Chinasa called Jide. "I'm sorry, Jide, but Stephanie is really down. She won't be able to come today."

Pause

"Yes, she's resting."

Pause

"Thank you for understanding." She ended the call and sat on the bed beside Stephanie, gently placing her hand on Stephanie's arm. "Rest, okay? I'll go and get your cream and pills. You don't need to come with me."

Stephanie nodded. She wanted to thank Chinasa but couldn't speak past the lump in her throat.

By the time Chinasa had left, Stephanie tried everything she could, but sleep remained far from her. The more she closed her eyes, the more she pictured the happenings of last night. The memory was still fresh and it was driving her insane. She felt weak and tired, but it seemed as though sleep thought otherwise.

After several hours of trying and failing to fall asleep, Stephanie resorted to studying. She opened her textbook, but couldn't concentrate. It seemed as though her mind was bent on going back to last night's happenings and condemning her in the process. After being stuck on one page for three hours without understanding anything, Stephanie closed her book and laid down again, accepting her predicament. She was being tormented for what she'd done. She stared at the ceiling, silently hoping for sleep to mercifully relieve her from all the hurt she was feeling.