TWENTY EIGHT

Stephanie laid down on William's couch and sobbed harder as she heard the sound of Williams' car driving out—away from her. Of course, he couldn't stand being in the same vicinity as someone as perverse as her. His disappointment had been written all over his face and that shattered Stephanie. She'd messed up. Williams wasn't who she thought he was. He was different. He wasn't like Charles. She'd expected him to be all over her body as was typical of Charles, but she'd ended up making a fool of herself. Now Williams detested her.

Thoughts of the day he'd come over to her hostel with his friend filled her mind. They'd been both so kind to her. She remembered them telling her that she was a good person. Williams had spoken to her so kindly and respectfully that day. He'd looked pleased with her. Unlike today. Stephanie's sobs came back with full force as she recalled how disappointed he looked before he left. Now he knew who she truly was. She wasn't the innocent girl he's thought she was. If only she could be that girl. She gulped.

Once again, she envied Chinasa and it hurt so bad she could feel it in her chest. Chinasa didn't deserve a guy like Williams. He was still being faithful to her despite knowing that she'd slept with Charles. The way Williams rejected Stephanie stung. Chinasa would always be the better one after all. Everybody wanted her. Charles preferred her and Williams loved her so much he couldn't cheat on her amidst her infidelity. Chinasa surpassed her in every way and it hurt to admit it. She had William's heart wrapped around her finger.

Williams. She'd driven him out of his own house. Was that how much she repulsed him? Stephanie squeezed her eyes shut as shame washed over her. She'd never be able to look Williams in the face again. No, she couldn't let him meet her here when he came in the morning. She hurried to exit the house, but to her disappointment, Williams had locked it from outside, which meant she was definitely going to see him in the morning.

She groaned inwardly as she sat on the floor. Of course, Williams had to lock the door. Was she really thinking of leaving his house when she didn't have the key to lock it? Did she really plan on leaving his house vulnerable to thieves? She was so selfish and inconsiderate. Was this how bad of a person she was? She rested her head against the door and closed her eyes. Soon she felt her self falling sideways and quickly supported herself. She'd dozed off. She needed some sleep, but she was too scared to go to Williams' room because she didn't want to be reminded of him.

She stood and for the first time since she came this evening, she took note of her surrounding and it opened the door to many memories. Her first visit here was for a night party. This was where she'd had her first taste of alcohol. She'd thrown up that day. It was ironic how things had changed. She was now a professional drunkard. She could drink so much without getting drunk. Just this afternoon, she'd finished three bottles of beer, but she was still as sane as everybody else.

The house looked a lot better than it did the last time she was here. Williams had rearranged the sofas and changed the glass table in the middle. The tv was still in the same position and... Stephanie noticed two strange framed picture at the foot of the TV and went closer for a better view.

In the first photo, Williams was being baptized in a swimming pool. An elderly man held his clasped hands and was putting him into the water, or perhaps bringing him out of the water as his face was wet and his white t-shirt stuck to his torso, accentuating its contours. Williams was handsome. Hadn't her heart raced when she'd seen him without a shirt not long ago? Her heart had never raced that way when she was around any other guy. Not Charles. Not Jide or any of the guys she'd slept with. If she were to be honest with herself, she'd gotten hurt not just because Williams was disappointed in her. She was also broken because she'd desired Williams and he rejected her. She wasn't in love with. She only desired him for lustful reasons. That was how dirty her mind had become.