TWENTY-FOUR

It was 4:15 PM. Williams had been sitting in class for the past forty-five minutes, but it seemed as though he'd been here for just ten minutes. This was because he'd been busy revising for his test which was scheduled to start by 3:30. Now forty-five minutes had gone by and the lecturer wasn't here yet.

Williams had revised this course more than two times and to say the least, he was tired of studying. He looked around the class and sure enough, he wasn't the only one who had gotten tired of studying. His seatmate Irene had closed her book and was now playing candy crush. Some of his classmates were chatting and playing, while a few had rested their heads on their tables and were probably sleeping. It was a full class. Everyone was present including those who never attended class. No one dared to be absent on the day their test was scheduled to hold. He spotted Charles at the far back, he was smiling and saying something to a girl who was sitting on his lap, blushing.

Williams frowned and faced forward. Of a truth, Charles disgusted him. He deceived so many girls and toyed with their feelings just for the fun of it. How heartless. The more Williams thought about Charles, the more ashamed he felt about his past life. Had his life been this disgusting? Had he really been this heartless? A part of him wished he could talk to Charles about Jesus, but another part wished he'd rot in hell for what he and Chinnie were doing behind Stephanie's back. But that wasn't God's will, right? God definitely wasn't pleased with the direction his thoughts were going.

Lord, I'm sorry. He sighed, the pain in his palms bringing him to the awareness that he'd been tightly clenching his fists.

It was such a pity that Stephanie believed Charles was in love with her. Williams shook his head as he pushed the thoughts of Stephanie away. After he'd seen her in Chinnie's room dressed so provocatively on her way to a man's house, he'd promised himself that he wouldn't bother himself about her any longer. He hated to admit it, but he couldn't remember the last time he'd prayed for her. Truly, he was discouraged. Seeing her that day made him feel as though God wasn't listening to his prayers for her as it was obvious that she was going from bad to worse.

Williams glanced at his wristwatch again. 4:20 PM. Bible Study was 5:00 PM, and he was going to be late, thanks to his lecturer who hadn't shown up early. He tapped his fingers on his table as he looked outside the door. Because his class was on the third floor, all he could see were the blue skies and tree tops with some birds flying close to the trees. He doubted this test would hold, but he didn't want to leave the class because his lecturer could come at the dying minute. He'd just wait until either the lecturer comes, or the course rep announces that the test had been postponed.

Williams felt a pang of guilt as he remembered he'd not spent time studying his Bible. He'd been so preoccupied with preparing for his test that he spent less than five minutes reading his Bible this morning. He couldn't even remember what he'd read or what he'd learned that morning. He mentally facepalmed as he took out his phone from his pocket and opened his Bible App. It was opened to Philippians 2:5. It read;

You must have the same attitude that Jesus Christ had. Though He was God, He did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. Instead, He gave up His divine privileges; He took the holy position of a slave and was born as a human being.

Williams paused to take in all that he had read, the more he meditated on it, replaying it word for word in his mind, the more meaning he saw in the scripture.

Imagine being so highly exalted and glorified. Pure and holy, just like God, with all the luxury and beauty of heaven. Yet sacrificing all of that to come to earth to be insulted and killed by the same people who were created through him. Jesus was flogged, they insulted him, spat on Him, struck his head, and crucified Him. He could destroy them all with as little as a snap of his finger, yet He took it all without complaining. He didn't deserve any of that. Williams could feel his eyes tear up.