TWELVE

Stephanie could feel sweat droplets roll down her face. It felt as though her lower abdomen was going to explode. Placing her hands over her abdomen brought no relief. But the pain she was feeling in her abdomen was nothing compared to the pain inflicted on her heart by the eyes staring daggers at her.

"You've been on your period for six weeks." Charles' veins were visible on his forehead as he yelled. "Do you think I'm stupid." She had never seen him this mad.

"I'm not lying to you, Charles." Stephanie could feel her eyes filling. If only he could see her heart, he'd know she was telling the truth.

"Do you think I'm still in kindergarten." His eyes were dark. "For heaven's sake, I know that periods last for five to seven days maximum?" He facepalmed.

"I'm sorry." She covered her mouth with both hands. She'd lied about her period then, but she wasn't lying now. How could she make him believe her? Wasn't the pain in her lower abdomen proof enough?

"Oh, so you admit you've been lying to me." He yelled. "You know you could have just said you didn't want to do it instead of trying to fool me. You dishonest..." Stephanie could see the hatred in his eyes as he thought of what name to call her. But what bothered her more was the loudness of his voice. Williams' room wasn't so far away from Charles' room. She didn't want Williams to hear them quarreling.

"Please, calm down," She gave him a pleading look.

"I should calm down?" He spoke even louder.

Stephanie gasped when he began taking fast angry strides towards her. He looked ready to strangle her. She took a few steps backward until she hit the wall. The closer Charles approached, the faster her heart beat. When he was close enough to touch her. Stephanie squeezed her eyes shut. She could feel the tears pour down her face as she anticipated what was coming. A second passed. Two seconds. Three seconds. Stephanie slowly opened her eyes. Charles was still standing there. His fists were tightly clenched as were his jaws.

Not saying anything to her, he shook his head and walked to his wardrobe. He picked up a T-shirt. Where was he going? What if he went out and found another girl? What if he broke up with her? If he broke up with her, she'd lose all the rep she'd suffered to build. She'd be forced to go back to living her low-key life. She'd then become inferior to Chinasa again. If it took giving him her virginity for him not to go, she could do it.

Stephanie gulped as she watched him put on his T-shirt. She was about to stop him, but the cramps in her lower abdomen reminded her that she was still on her period. And wait. She hadn't shaved. If Charles saw her this way, he could go behind her back and make jest of her with his friends. She wasn't ready.

She silently watched as Charles picked up his phone and wallet and left the room, not saying one word to her. The sound of Williams' car driving off a few minutes later told her that Charles had gone for good. She didn't need anyone to tell her he wasn't coming back tonight. Once again, she'd been left alone in this big room. She sighed as she flopped on the bed. Where did Charles always go to? Of all the nights she'd spent here, not once had Charles spent the whole night here. He always left in the middle of the night and came back before everyone woke up. But Stephanie always knew when he'd come in and silently lie beside her, thinking she was fast asleep.

Although tempted a lot of times, Stephanie never summoned up the courage to ask where he went to. it hurt Stephanie to admit that Charles scared her. She was always careful around him, not wanting to do anything that'll annoy him for fear of him breaking up with her. She was never herself around him. She hated the way he touched her just anyhow whenever he wished as though she were a toy. It was obvious he had no respect for her. Stephanie unbuckled her sandals.