FOUR

Stephanie smiled, closing her eyes as she relished the cool breeze that blew through her wig. She couldn't have felt happier when Charles took her hand as they walked alongside each other on the side of the swimming pool. She still found it hard to believe she was on a date with Charles. This was a dream come true. She looked up at Charles and saw the mischievous glint in his eyes as he playfully tried to push her into the swimming pool.

"Charles" She giggled as she tried to maintain balance. But he was stronger. She screamed in amusement as she fell, anticipating the big, loud splash from the pool. But she heard a loud, heavy thud instead. She'd hit a hard surface, causing her to groan in pain. She opened her eyes and everything was different. There was no Charles, no blue sky and no swimming pool. The only cool breeze she felt was from the ceiling fan situated directly above her.

"Oh my God, Stephanie." Vanessa sounded horrified as she jumped down her bunk bed. "Are you okay?" She knelt beside Stephanie and took her hand.

No, she wasn't okay. Her elbow hurt. Her knee. Her ankle. Stephanie couldn't speak past the lump in her throat. She just laid down, grimacing.

"What happened." Magdalene, Vanessa's bunkmate sat up on her bed.

"My God. Did she just fall from her bunk bed?" Teni, Stephanie's bunkmate sounded shocked.

Stephanie's fall had woken all her roommates up except Chinasa.

"Her friend must have pushed her down." Magdalene gestured to a sleeping Chinasa.

Stephanie's eyes teared up at the realization. Was this what she got for trying to help a friend. Chinasa had said she'd be staying here for a few days. But a few days turned to many days. Whenever Stephanie asked about her hostel booking progress, she'd give flimsy excuses. Now, two weeks had passed. Stephanie's roommates, Teni and Magdalene resumed yesterday. Stephanie was left with no choice but to share a bed with Chinasa. Chinasa had taken the spot close to the wall, leaving the edge of the bed for Stephanie. Being fatter, Chinasa occupied more than half of the bed, leaving Stephanie with a little space to manage. Stephanie had thought she could manage, but her big fall proved her otherwise. She'd fallen about five feet down and hit the hard-ceramic tiled floor, yet Chinasa, the cause of her problems was still snoring.

"And the girl is still sleeping." Teni hissed. She spoke as though she'd heard Stephanie's thoughts. She stood up and gave Chinasa three angry taps.

Chinasa jerked up and looked around, confused.

"Young lady." Teni sounded annoyed. "Are you aware you pushed your friend down? You're busy sleeping like a log of wood."

Chinasa gasped when she spotted Stephanie on the floor with Vanessa and Magdalene. "Oh my God. I'm sorry." She buried her face in her hands. "I didn't know."

Teni hissed. "They said 'No squatting. No squatting.' You people will not hear. Now see what has happened." She ranted as she took off her pajamas and tied her towel around her chest. "And today is the first day of lectures. I wonder how you plan to cope." She picked her bucket and sponge and left for the bathroom.

"That's true. Lectures are starting today." Vanessa said. "Would you be able to make it to class?" She asked Stephanie.

Stephanie had forgotten lectures were starting today. Of all days, why today? How would she be able to make it with all this pain she was feeling?

"Yes, she will," Chinasa said as she carefully climbed down the bunk bed. "I'm sorry, Steph." She cooed. "Did you injure yourself?"

"I'm fine." Stephanie nodded as she struggled to sit up.