THIRTY-THREE

Stephanie didn't know for how long she stood there, held in Dami's embrace. "I can't believe my eyes and ears." Dami had said. "Two pieces of good news in one evening?"

Stephanie knew Dami to be a very jovial person, but right now she was seeing the emotional side of her. Dami had screamed and jumped in excitement when she'd seen Stephanie, but she broke down and shed some tears when she'd learned that Stephanie had accepted Christ.
"God answers prayers." Vanessa said as she headed to what seemed to be the kitchen. "Your house smells heavenly, Dami. What are you cooking? My stomach is rumbling."

"Oh, I wish you guys informed me you were coming. I would have started cooking earlier." She finally released Stephanie from the hug and walked towards the kitchen. "I've only boiled the chicken. I'm about to boil the rice. I haven't even finished dicing the carrots and green peas." She turned to Stephanie. "Come, have a look at the Kitchen, Steph." Then her eyes widened as though she'd just realized something. "Vanessa, why are you quiet? What are you doing inside there." She hurried into the kitchen.

Stephanie followed her in time to find Vanessa munching a piece of chicken.

"I knew it," Dami laughed as she chased Vanessa around the kitchen.

"It's not my fault. I was hungry." With the meat in her mouth, Vanessa's words were almost incoherent as she ran out of the kitchen.
Speaking of hunger, Stephanie's stomach felt empty. She hadn't had anything since morning and what was the time now? Almost 6 PM. The pleasant aroma of Dami's food wasn't helping matters. It seemed Jesus hadn't just given her peace and joy. He'd also restored her appetite.

Dami returned, pulling Vanessa by the hand. "You're going to dice all the carrots." She laughed. "That's because you ate the breast; my best part."

"But it's my best part too." Vanessa pouted as she picked up a knife.

"Oh, please sit down, Steph." Dami drew out one of the chairs for her. "Don't mind Vanessa. She's such a troublemaker."

"You're worse than me." Vanessa faked a frown.

Stephanie laughed, enjoying the exchange between both girls. This was a rare side of Vanessa she hardly saw. Most of the time, Vanessa was always serious and gentle. It was amusing to see the playful version of her that only Dami could bring out.

Stephanie looked around, admiring every bit of Dami's kitchen. It was quite small, but perfect for someone living alone. The wooden cabinets were overlain with grey formica, making them glisten and adding beauty to the kitchen. The plates, cups and cutleries were neatly arranged in a red dish rack which sat on the top of the cabinets. From the white tiled walls to the floor, everywhere looked well kept. The only evidence that Dami was cooking here were the four bowls containing carrots, green peas, onions, and the chicken, four of which she'd placed on the table, and the pot of rice boiling on the glass gas burner.

Stephanie loved this place big time. Dami was living in much more comfort and luxury than she portrayed on the outside. From the things Stephanie had seen both in the living room and here in the kitchen, it was obvious this apartment cost money. Contrary to what Stephanie had assumed, Dami was definitely financially loaded. She looked and behaved simple, but her life was way beyond that of a struggling student. She wished she could live in an apartment like this. Why was she staying in the school's hostel again? Oh, because it was way cheaper and much closer to the lecture theatres. Asides that, Dami's apartment was her ideal kind of place.

"Stephanie, I'm sorry to keep you waiting. The food will soon be ready." Dami was washing some onions. "Would you like a bottle of yoghurt in the time being?"

"Oh, yes please." Stephanie nodded.

"That's true. Have you eaten something today?" Vanessa turned to Stephanie. "I didn't see you eat in the room. Did you eat something before you came?"