Part 43

It was Polly's birthday, as well as a meeting at Charlie's yard. Bunty had brought some roses for her, but Finn insisted that he'd be the one to give them to her. Bunty let him as the woman met them as they stood at Charlie's Yard. Finn passed Polly the red flowers and kissed her cheek, "happy birthday, Pol."

"You grow grand in the horse shit, Pol," Curly told the woman.

"Curly, pour some beer, eh?" Tommy told the man. Curly nodded and went to get glasses for everyone. "The train to London leaves in an hour. Arthur, Michael, you're coming with me," Thomas told the two men as he lit a cigarette.

"Tommy, I have to take Gina to the hospital today," Michael told him.

"A week ago, one of our most trusted men was killed by Jimmy McCavern. The man we're going to speak to in London is establishing a relationship with Jimmy McCavern. So, cancel your appointments, and Ada can take Gina to the hospital."

"'Cause that's what women do," Arthur commented. Bunty gave him a look.

"Clean that shit off your shoes before you get in me car, eh?" Tommy told Michael.

"Michael, they will give it and give it until your case is proven, and they'll take it," Polly told her son. "From you, but mainly from me."

"Polly, you go to the hospital and speak to Aberama Gold. You tell him there is a strategy in place to avenge the death of his son so not to do anything rash. And take with you the heartfelt condolences of the whole family."

Bunty heard the news about Bonnie's death and already spent an hour crying over him. She had spent many days training with him, under the supervision of Finn as he didn't trust him with his wife, and they were good friends.

"Why me?" Polly asked Tommy.

"Because Aberama gold is in love with you. He even got a haircut," Tommy told her. "And the smell of your perfume might ease his pain."

"Tommy, I'm forty-five years old today," Polly told him.

"Forty-five years old and still break hearts, eh?"

"Yeah," Arthur agreed.

"To Polly," Tommy raised his glass. At this point, everyone had been given a glass of beer. Glasses were raised, and Polly's name said; this was done before everyone drank some of their drink. "Curly," Thomas turned to the man, "organise a wagon to take Bonnie Gold's soul to heaven. Isaiah, fetch his boxing gloves from the gym to burn with his body. Michael, turn the Bentley around. We have a train to catch," he then told his cousin. Arthur chuckled at this. "And don't forget to wipe that shit off your shoes, eh?"

Charlie threw a rag at the man. Michael looked pissed off. "Just start up the car and drive," Polly told her son.

"What shall Finn and I do?" Bunty asked, looking at Tommy.

"You and Finn will keep an eye at the Garrison," Thomas said, clearly just making it up.

"Right," Bunty rolled her eyes, "we'll get going then. Polly, happy birthday. I've brought a vintage wine to give you at home, so whenever you want it, tell me, and I'll deliver it."

"Okay. Thank you, Bunty," Polly said before Bunty and Finn walked off towards the Garrison.

~:~:~:~

Bunty and Finn were in charge of the football betting; most of the time, the couple stayed in Finn's office. Bunty told Finn that she'd get them lunch for them both while he, Arthur and Billy Grade had a meeting. She didn't want a part of it.

She brought ingredients and went home briefly to make some sandwiches, plus some for the kids who were excited to see her. The nanny was grateful that Bunty returned as the kids kept saying "no" to anything that she tried to offer them.

Bunty packed the food for her and Finn in a bag while the two kids were eating at the table with the nanny. "I'll see you two later; I love you."

"Bye, mommy!" They chorused.

Bunty headed back to the office, and as she got to the street, she heard a gunshot. She flinched and rushed towards the offices. A Chinese woman Bunty had never seen before walked out of the door without glancing at Bunty and walked off. Bunty was momentarily frozen from her confusion before she snapped out of it. The sound of a gunshot sounded like it came from here.

"Finn? Finn?" Bunty shouted, running up the stairs; she opened his office and saw the hole in the ceiling. "What the fuck happened?" Without a word, Finn stood up, anger evident in his face, and ran out the door, grabbing his pistol on the way out. "Finn!" Bunty shouted again, but he didn't stop.

Bunty chased him out of the door and through the streets; he was running towards the Garrison. He burst through the place and into the little room where Tommy conducts business. Bunty stood just behind them. Finn had his pistol pointing towards a Chinese man who was seated across from Thomas and Arthur. "What the fuck is going on?" Finn shouted as he burst in.

Both brothers pushed Finn against the door, accidentally shutting it in Bunty's face, but she could still hear their voices. "What are you doing?" Arthur said. Then a gunshot rang out again.

"Finn, we are conducting a piece of business," Thomas told him.

"She had a gun to my fucking head!" Finn shouted at his brother.

"But your trousers are dry. You didn't piss yourself. He didn't piss himself, Arthur," Tommy said.

"Well done, Finn," Arthur told his youngest brother. It sounded very snarky.

"You had a dispute with a lady, and you didn't piss yourself," Thomas said, "and Arthur here tells me we should put you on the tracks. It'll be a good day for you, after all, Finn."

"Give me that," Arthur said. He must've taken Finn's pistol off of him.

"Hey, always have your whores searched at the door," Thomas told his youngest brother. Bunty couldn't help feel her heart clench at those words. Had that woman been a whore?

"If I see that bitch on the street, I'll fucking cut her, yeah?" Finn said threateningly, must've been to the Chinese man.

"Yeah, all right. Come on," Arthur said over the boy, opening the door and pushing his brother out.

"Finn-" Bunty said, reaching out, but he shrugged her off.

"Not now," he told her.

"I just want to know what happened," Bunty told him. "I heard gunfire twice; I thought you were dead."

Finn finally had calmed down enough to talk properly, "I'm fine, Bunty."

"Who was she?" Bunty asked quietly.

"Isaiah said she just showed up. I thought she was a client," Finn told her.

"What did she did to you?" Bunty asked, gently touching his face.

"She pointed a gun at my head," he told her, "nothing else."

"I'm sorry," Bunty said sympathetically.

"Don't be," he told her, "it's not your fault."

"Hey, I know what would cheer you up," Bunty told him, watching his hardened expression turn curious, "we can head back to your office, and I can help you..." She pressed soft kisses against his lips, slowly trailing over his cheeks and towards his neck.

He let out a shuddering breath. "Okay, yeah."

A/N I might not be able to post next Sunday as I'm busy next weekend but ill try my best to post.