Harry- 1. Paper Hearts

Warnings: none

_

Horrible.

It was a horrible day.

And more specifically, it was a horrible start for a new term. But then again, she stood up for Potter and this was the consequence.

He wasn't meeting her eyes since then, and oh well, not like he ever did. They weren't at any proximity, the only thing that they had in common was their year, and a particularly horrendous class.

She tried to concentrate hard on the theory she was supposed to mug up, and it seemed almost impossible with a certain someone just ricocheting off at every angle in her brain. Standing up for Potter was a mistake and she didn't need another detention from Umbridge.

Good. She was able to study.

Next week, she again cursed herself for standing up for Potter. She wouldn't have, but Umbridge's nonsense forced her to. And that's when she properly looked at him- he just gave her a painfully thankful smile.

And he was off

The words gashing into her wrist just messed up her brain. She couldn't decide if she would ever think of standing up for anyone. Potter wasn't her friend, yet there was a particular something in her nerves triggering her when he was in pain.

He already have had enough, and she was trying to somewhat lessen them physically.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

She was trying to debate why was she even standing in the frigid pinnacle of the castle.

But somehow it felt alright, it felt languid. There weren't groups of chubby first-years babbling about things she never cared about, there wasn't a certain someone sneaking into her brain- oh, there she was.

She groaned in annoyance and kicked nothing but air until something actually touched her shoe-clad feet.

A crumpled parchment wasn't intriguing to any exhausted eye but she went for it. After all, what was the fun in freezing with a thousand thoughts?

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

She wrote again.

And the warm library wasn't what she was aspiring at the dead of the night. Slowly, she slipped out of her dorm, not caring that she didn't have a bit of warmth over her, nor an invisibility cloak like Potter- oh, she had better things to look forward to.

The Astronomy Tower has never changed a bit since the last month. Maybe, Filch never thought of climbing upstairs; good for her anyway. A parchment still laid there, neatly folded unlike the first time.

And it became a ritual.

Every night, she would be exchanging letters, not bothered who was this person reading her incessant rants, not caring a sickle who was this person in such a perplexity, so much pain. She just knew it subsided her anxiousness (and hopefully that of the certain someone too) and she was contended.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

She did join DA. Not because Potter was teaching, but because she wanted to fight Umbridge- she wanted to fight the ministry. And he smiled at her again. Maybe for the third time in all her give years in this goddamn castle.

It was coincidental- she was definitely thinking about him at that moment. Was it a sort of connection between them?

Nonsense. She definitely had better things to look forward to.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

The O.W.Ls were nearing, and she definitely wanted to hex Potter and Umbridge. Boy, she could fail because of them. Potter for his pain, and Umbridge for her own gain. And it didn't help when Umbridge snapped in her sweet voice at Potter; it startled her too as much as it bolted him put of his little doings.

Brilliant. He earned detention. Just bless him already.

But she reminded herself, she still had better things to look forward to.

Another tongue-freezing night, but it didn't feel right. She was alone, like always, but there wasn't a parchment waiting for her, or any scruffy feet dragged down the tower. Yes, the person was definitely not coming today.

The next night indeed made her anxious. What if the person didn't find a drop of interest in her letter? Oh well, they certainly did.

Just a joke that night and a gut feeling of her being in that house. She laughed; how well they understood her.

She smiled, reading it over ten times and a little scribbled 'H' caught her eye- highly distorted, like the person was almost distracted while writing.

Blasphemy for rued luck again.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Potter knew it all, he always did. He knew how much she struggled with the Patronus charm. She absolutely wasn't concentrating, and he spoke with experience.

"Concentrate," he breathed from behind her, slowly straightening her arm and posture.

He followed his advice himself. A certain imaginary figure did bolt in both their minds, a smile did cross their faces even if they never noticed.

Just if they knew...

She was delighted and didn't mind a bit that O.W.Ls we're hauled in between (all thanks to the Weasley twins); she would actually not care if Umbridge would run away from the castle right now.

But the cheers weren't the only thing ringing in her ears, her insides pointed out that not everything was going on well.

Oh, she felt like kicking her pessimistic guts away for once, but there she was again.

A hand grappled her shoulder before pulling away as quickly as it reached there. Snatching her gaze from the sizzling, colossal trick the twins left on the castle's atmosphere, her eyes fell on Potter as he fell down on the cobbled floor. Her smile fled away as she crouched at his level, gently gripping his arm. His emerald orbs were wide, full of terror and he was shaking badly.

His friends did rescue him from the spot, and the last thing he gave was just a painfully hastened smile.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

He felt empty. And he was at fault, of course. Sirius was gone, but only if someone was there by his side right now.

He tried to smile through the fog of his glasses because the pain wasn't subsiding.

Hastily, he wiped his glasses with the sleeves of his sweater; he had to return to his dorm before he broke down in the Astronomy Tower loaded with guilt.

He quietly slipped the small parchment with an apology for not being in a state of mind for talking, muffled a sob, and decided to leave.

But she was watching. Silently.

Witnessing each time the boy in front of her lost his composure, cried like he wasn't supposed to be 'The Chosen One' as everybody called him.

She felt terrible. Again, not for herself, but for him. From the shadows of the tower, she decided not to pry on his pain. She'd let him work out in solitude.

Only if Merlin wished the same...

Her heart dropped when she saw him dropping the parchment on the cold floor. How could it have been Potter all this time?

And he was drawing closer, not like he knew she had been watching him.

But still, their eyes met, lips did part slightly at the realization. And he didn't wait for a second after connecting the dots.

She felt him fall over her shoulders like a tired child, not wanting anything at the moment. His arms unhurriedly encaged her waist like a spoiled child who wanted everything he aspired.

And he certainly didn't care to let those tears escape, not today at least.

They both felt each other's body relaxing by the next minute, and she didn't hesitate to console him. Still no ounce of warmth over her, she felt herself smiling- the connection was indeed there- from paper to hearts.