Chapter Twenty-Nine

Josephine

"Wow," I breathe and feel Theo smile against my skin. The sunlight filters in through the window as his hand clutches mine. It's the morning after, yet I still feel like it happened mere minutes ago.

"You can say that again," Theo laughs and I smile. We're happy. It's strange to feel this happy. After all we've been through, it's nice to have this moment to simply be happy with my mate.

I struggle to get out of Theo's iron grip for a few minutes before he chuckles and relents. Standing up and stretching, I look at him laying there with his hungry eyes on me. We finally mated last night. He's looking at me like he wants to mate again right this second. I smile at him and walk to the bathroom feeling giddy.

After we get ready for the day, giving each other playful touches and naughty looks as we get dressed, we walk down to the kitchen. I can't stop smiling and Theo can't keep his hands off of me. Am I floating on cloud nine? I think I actually might be, to be honest.

We're flirting over bowls of cereal when all hell breaks lose. Suddenly, I'm tackled to the ground as a woman screams and growls erupt outside. I blink up at Theo on top of me.

"What the hell?" I panic as he shifts into his wolf on top of me. What's happening? His wolf licks my cheek lovingly before he sprints outside. As his mate, I'm offended that he didn't stay to protect me. As the Luna of his pack, I'm proud of my alpha's loyalty to his wolves. But still, after last night, a part of me feels hurt at his speedy departure.

As quickly as I can, I shift into my wolf also and sprint outside after him. The sight before my eyes brings me back to when Theo's pack was attacking my old pack. Women are being killed, wolves are fighting each other, some of the houses are on fire, and I can't find Theo. Why can't I find Theo?

Theo, where the fuck you at? I ask frantically through our link but I get no response. Huh. Guess I'm on my own then.

My eyes catch on to the fur of a familiar wolf and I freeze. Is that Kaiden? Oh my god, it is. That would mean Michael's pack, my old pack, is attacking Theo's. No wonder the battle scene looked so familiar; the same wolves are involved. Is this revenge for what happened the night I met Theo?

Kaiden must sense me looking at him because he turns and trots over to me as if there aren't innocent women being killed right in front of him. That thought snaps me out of my shock and I rush to go protect the females of my pack. I'm Luna; I shouldn't have hesitated to begin with but I can beat myself up over that later.

Just as I'm sprinting past Kaiden, I hear him growl at me. I freeze. That was the growl of an alpha. I turn to make sure it was actually Kaiden growling at me and confirm that yes, it is. Wait. So, Kaiden's the alpha now? What the hell happened to Michael? And if Kaiden is the alpha then that would mean he ordered this attack on my pack. With that realization, I growl right back at him.

Why would Kaiden do that to me?

Ignoring the sinking feeling in my gut and the sour taste of betrayal on my tongue, I turn and sprint to help the females of my pack. Yet, as I go to do so, Kaiden is hot on my tail. I snarl back at him before tearing into one of the wolves attacking one of the females. When I previously had killed that female rogue in self defense, I had felt so torn up about it. I don't even hesitate now to tear out the throat of this wolf right in front of me. How dare he attempt to kill some innocent women? What type of person does that? He deserves to die.

The female I just saved gives me a quick look of appreciation before running to safety. I turn to stop the next attacker when a wolf tackles me. I growl angrily as I thrash under the weight. Seriously? That's twice I've been tackled today and it's not even nine in the morning. I haven't even had any coffee. I am so beyond not in the mood for this shit. I'm trying to save lives here.

When I realize the wolf above me is Kaiden I have never felt more confused. I thought Kaiden was my friend? Why is he doing all of this? I struggle to get him off of me yet he continues to growl at me.

Theo! I practically scream through our link and when there's no response yet again, I give up. He's obviously preoccupied. I mean, why not abandon your mate in the face of danger? It's not like I matter to him or anything.

When I finally stop struggling, Kaiden stops growling and looks me in the eyes. He's trying to tell me something but I don't know what. When the pained howl of one of my female pack members permeated the air I start struggling again. How can Kaiden be okay with hurting these women? The Kaiden I know would be absolutely disgusted by such behavior. Kaiden despises Theo and his pack for that very thing yet here he is ordering it.

What happened to my sweet, caring best friend?

Josephine?! Theo's yells through the link and relief washes over me. Thank god. If anything had happened to him, I would have literally died. I continue to squirm under Kaiden.

What's going on, Theo? I bite into Kaiden's leg and he basically roars at me. I flinch away from the sound of an alpha angry at me. Although I'm Luna, I am not immune to my animal instinct to please an alpha. Going against that instinct actually pains me.

I don't know, love. Theo replies and withstanding the wrath of Kaiden suddenly doesn't seem so bad. Who cares if an alpha is displeased with me when my own sexy alpha loves me? Where are you?

Kaiden tackled me and won't let me go. I reply quickly to Theo but when I'm met with radio silence, my panic returns. Okay. What in the actual fuck is happening right now?

I bolt up the second Kaiden for some reason gets off of me. My legs begin to propel me as far away from Kaiden as possible but teeth in my neck stop me dead in my tracks. Hold the fuck up. I whirl to see who would dare to bite me and I'm not even surprised to see Kaiden's face. He is completely relentless.

So, I'm helpless as he begins to drag me by the scruff of my neck to the tree line away from the bloody scene before us and away from Theo.