Chapter Thirteen

Josephine

"Are you alright, baby?" Theo's voice sounds almost hesitant. I look up at him and glare. He had me dragged away from the challenge. What if he would have died and I wouldn't have been there? I would have never forgiven myself. I never would have forgiven him.

He found me sitting in our room in the desk chair. After the she wolves dragged me to the cabin, I was hysterical so they set me down.

"Do I look alright, Theo?" I spit and he frowns at me.

I know that's not how I'm supposed to speak to an alpha but seriously it was a stupid question. Obviously I'm not alright from my bloodshot eyes and blotchy cheeks. I cried too hard for someone I claim to hate.

"I'm sorry." He takes a few steps toward me. I scoot back in my chair away from him. "Josephine, I had no choice."

"You had me dragged away." I choke back my sob. "What if you had died? You're my mate, Theo. I don't know what I would have done without you." I hadn't realized the mate link was that strong. He's a monster and yet the thought of him dying made me hysterical with sorrow. I'm still hysterical.

Theo says nothing as he scoops me up in his arms, sits down on the bed with his back against the headboard, and cradles me to his chest. I clutch his shirt in my small fist and swallow down a sob. My mate is the strongest alpha in America, I shouldn't be acting so weak. He should have a strong mate just like him.

"Shh. I'm sorry, baby. Don't cry." He soothes and I sniffle my nose. "I'm alive. You don't have to worry anymore."

"But you could have died." I point out and he leans down so he can kiss my neck softly.

"I'm alive." He reminds as he presses more kisses to my neck. I swallow hard. Well this took a turn. I don't think he's ever really kissed me before this.

He bites softly and I know it's going to leave a mark. And he's doing it so it's obvious to any other male who I belong to. I belong to the alpha in case that's unclear to any werewolf in his pack. Since I won't let him actually mark me, he'll just leave tiny bite marks to claim what's his.

"T-Theo, Theo you've gotta stop." I manage and he growls at me, kissing my neck some more. I try and push away but he won't let me go. After a few seconds I feel him poking up against my butt and I still. Oh boy.

"I don't ever have to stop." He kisses along my jawline. "You're mine. I can do whatever I want with you."

"We have stuff to do, don't we?" I remind and he pauses kisses me for a second before continuing.

"We do but this is more important." He smiles against my skin. I shiver but then we both hear a knock at the door.

"Alpha?" Jason's voice sounds uneasy. Theo keeps kissing away, not even bothering to respond to his poor beta.

"Yes, Jason?" I call out to him in the other side of the door and Jason clears his throat while Theo kisses mine.

"We have Alpha Michael here to speak with Alpha Lupine, Luna." He responds to me and I look down at Theo. He growls deeply in his chest at Jason's words. I smile softly as he kisses my nose. His hands grip my waist as he pulls me hard against his body.

"When we see your pack, keep in mind, you're mine." His voice is deep as he talks. "And we will finish this later."

Theo

"Alpha Lupine." Alpha Michael nods at me and I do the same.

Josephine trails behind me, holding my hand, looking nervous. She's adorable. Where I'm hard, cold, and unforgiving, she's soft, warm, and comforting. She's pretty much the opposite of me and that's why we're mates.

"Josephine." A male voice says and I turn to the man standing next to Alpha Michael.

Josephine gasps and almost runs towards him in delight but I don't let go of her hand. I don't know this man and he obviously means something to her. That seems like enough of a threat to me. She looks back at me with pleading eyes and I frown.

She wants to hug him and there's no fucking way I'm letting her touch another male, let alone one that she cares for. I shake my head once at her and she retreats all the way back to my side. The man glares at me and I stare at him. Glaring at some lower werewolf is beneath me. I won't sink to his level.

"Alpha Lupine, Josephine's mate." I reach my hand out for him to shake and he eyes it uneasily before slipping his own hand into mine. He shakes it swiftly and I tighten my hold as he does. His eyes widen and he retracts his hand from mine quickly. That's his one an only warning.

"Kaiden." He responds and I look down at Josephine who's looking at him. I squeeze her hand and she looks away.

"Did you need something, Alpha Michael?" I question, turning to him.

"I came to check on Josephine to make sure she was safe." He says but there's something in his tone that throws me off. It's almost like it wasn't his idea.

I know Josephine's wolf is quite small, the smallest in her old pack, so as an Alpha myself, I know this alpha doesn't care for her safety in the slightest. It's apparent this Kaiden guy was the motive behind this visit. He must be a powerful werewolf if he holds so much power over his own alpha. And he must care about Josephine greatly to come on my territory and into my own home. I don't like that. I don't like that at all.

"I think Kaiden and I should speak alone." I announce and Josephine jerks her eyes up to me. I ignore her look, gesturing to the door of my office. Kaiden frowns but enter the room anyway. Josephine tugs on my hand, forcing my eyes to hers.

"If you kill him, I'll never forgive you." She threatens and I raise an eyebrow. Threatening an alpha for this man? What's the extent of her care for him?

"That's a problem." I frown at her and she looks at me with her big eyes.

"I'm serious, Theo." She tries again and I release her hand from my grip as I walk towards my office. She follows me. "He's like my best friend. You can't kill him." My wolf snarls angrily at that. I turn around to her and have her pinned against the wall in less than a second. She sucks in a deep breath and blinks up at me in surprise.

"I am your best friend. He doesn't exist in your life anymore. You have me and that's it." I growl and she looks away from me with pursed lips. "I'm an alpha, Josephine. I can kill him if I wish to."

"But you wouldn't." She whispers. "Because if you cared for me at all, you wouldn't do such a thing." An ultimatum? Josephine is playing poker with the devil here.

"Go to our room. I'm done with you right now." I snarl and notice tears puddling in her eyes. Not the tears again. My wolf nearly died last time. I could never be done with her though. I only tell her to leave because I can't handle her being down here with him close by. It sets both me and my wolf on edge.

"Theo." She pleads, a sob restrained in her throat. She's had a stressful day.

"Go up there and sleep. You need to rest, baby." I lean down and press a kiss to her temple, my anger with her fading quickly. "I'll be up there in a few minutes." I release her and nudge her in the direction of our room.

She frowns at me but does as she's told anyway. I walk to my office and clench my jaw at Kaiden as he watches me silently. I really want to kill him. I walk in and shut the door, opening my mouth to speak to him.

"You are one lucky son of a bitch."