Chapter Twenty-Two

Josephine

My eyes blink open and the first thing I realize is that I'm freezing. I look around to find that I'm still outside and then I flinch when I feel something touch my bare skin. My eyes widen at the sight of a extremely large back wolf licking at my side.

Oh my god.

"Theo!" I push away from him, trying to cover myself. "I'm naked!" But he obviously doesn't care because he simply growls at me so loudly, my ears ring after he's done.

I remain completely still as he takes a step towards me and continues licking my side again. What the hell? My eyes drop to where he's licking to find a gash running from the bottom of my rib cage to my hip bone. Oh. No wonder my body hurts like a bitch.

"Stop, that stings." I wince and he growls at me again but not as loud. Who broke his crayons this morning?

He doesn't even pause licking my gash but instead moves to the cuts that cover my arms. I cringe and pull my arm away from him, and he looks up and gives me this look that turns my blood to ice. Okay, he's pissed. No, he's beyond pissed. He's out of his freaking mind livid.

I suck in deep breath as he licks at my arm. What is he even doing? Tending to my wounds? I look up when a twig snaps to find Jason stark naked in human form. Theo turns from me and snarls at Jason, stalking towards him like he's an enemy.

Jason's eyes widen but he backs away with his hands up in surrender. Theo bares his teeth at him before turning back to me, resuming his process. I look at Jason trying to tell him Theo's lost his freaking mind but Jason just shakes his head at me like I'm the one who's in the wrong here.

"He's just trying to protect and care for you right now." Jason explains. "I got too close. And running away after you killed that she-wolf was a bad move, Josephine. Theo is crazy mad at you. He probably won't be able to shift back until your wounds are healed."

At his words, I tense up. Oh my god. I killed that woman. I just.... dug my teeth into her neck and ended her life before I ran away. I killed someone and they both know it. My breathing speeds up and becomes shallow as I start to panic.

I killed someone. I fucking killed someone. I'm a murderer. I'm as bad as what I used to think Theo was. I'm probably worse than him now. I have yet to see his physically Killy someone yet I've done is no more than a day ago.

I push Theo away from my body urgently and he snarls at me, getting right up in my face and making me look him in his angry eyes. He must see the absolute horror in my eyes because his eyes soften. He brushes his nose against my neck and I scoot away from him. How can he love me? I'm a murderer.

He barks lowly at me and I feel the tears puddling in my eyes. I'll never be able to look at myself the same again. He notices my sudden distraught and whines at me through his nose. I shake my head and don't meet his eyes. I've become the monster I used to think he was. I'm no better than what everyone whispers about him.

"Stop feeling sorry for yourself." A male voice I don't recognize snaps at me and I look up shocked. Who's out here? And why are they talking to me? Oh god, I'm completely naked. I look up to see and older man standing next to Jason. Jason looks absolutely terrified. "You've put Alpha Lupine through hell over some stupid she-wolf that could keep her canines in her mouth. Now you're about to cry because you defended yourself? Maybe he shouldn't be cleaning your wounds right now. Maybe he deserves a better mate."

I flinch back like this man slapped me. Theo turns his head and growls before he licks the side of my face. He turns around and snarls at the man. I get into an upright position, wincing from the pain, before I speak.

"I'm not sure who you think you are." I snap at the man and Theo cuts me a look. "I deserve Theo more than any female out there. Now I'm not sure why you think you have the right to speak to me like that but I am the Luna of Alpha Lupine's pack and will not sit here and be disrespected like that." The man looks at me seemingly a little angry and then his expression turns into admiration.

"I like her, son." He says to Theo and Theo raises his head proudly.

Whoa. Hold up. Son? Oh shit. If this is his father, I'm screwed. I just spoke like that to a retired Alpha. I might as well shoot myself for him while I'm at it. Theo turns back to me and covers my bare body with his. The man and Jason nod at me before walking away.

Theo rests his furry body on top of mine lightly, so he doesn't suffocate me, and licks my mark. I shiver at the feeling. Even in wolf form he manages to make my skin tingle. I can practically feel his affection rolling off of him, on to me. His humming again.

"Get off, ya big dog." I push at him, laughing a little. He growls playfully and licks me again. I giggle and attempt to move away. This is all awkward since I'm stark naked. "I need clothes so get to it. Aren't you supposed to protect me, Theo? I'm probably going to get hypothermia."

At the protection comment, he's up and off of me in seconds. He growls at me lightly, warning me to stay where I'm at, and then he takes off to find me clothes.

While he's gone, I look down to inspect my wounds. I gasp. Oh my god. By licking them, they're practically healed. They're going to be scars but that's better than the nasty red marks I was going to be stuck with for a while. I run my hand over the cuts on my arms. They don't even hurt to touch.

Theo comes sprinting back to me and drops a pile of clothing on my bare legs. I blush at him and get dress quickly. He watches like a hawk as I do and I roll my eyes at him. Even in wolf form he is such a man. Once dressed, I stand on my tiptoes and kiss his snout.

"Thank you." I whisper and he licks my face. He's still pissed at me, I can tell, but at least he's not really acting like it now. I don't understand why everyone thinks he's such a monster. He maybe super intimidating and have a horrible temper but he's just so sweet to me.

For the first time probably in my whole life, I feel lucky.