Lacuna

"a blank space or missing part"

(This one was not requested but I felt like writing so I decided to make a special Virgil centered one-shot as December 19th is the anniversary of his first appearance!(happy birthday Virgil!!) and I felt like I should do something special for him!)

(In this oneshot, the reader is the child of Virgil and is a side, they represent Misery and are around 4 or 5)

(The oneshot contains they/them pronouns and I didn't feel like using he/her in the text but you are welcome to request one with specific pronouns!)

~~Narrator POV~~

   Everyone knows that Virgil left the "Dark" sides for a reason, and that reason is actually very simple; he left for his kid. (Y/N), his child, has always been very small, smaller then they should be for the age they should represent. And that gave him so much fear, that one day that would wake up and (Y/N) would be gone.

   So he removed himself, and his child, from the darkness and went to the light, quite literally. He decided that the space the Dark sides reside isn't good for (Y/N) and they needed a different environment.

~~~Present Day & Virgil POV~~~

   (Y/N) is napping so I decided to grace the others with my presence by sitting on the couch with my headphones on. Patton is baking in the kitchen while he and Logan chat, Roman is watching a Disney movie on the TV and the other two are nowhere to be seen; just how I like it. I start to scroll through Tumblr as the song "Jack & Sally's Song" by The Hound + The Fox plays in my headphones, one of (Y/N)'s favorite renditions of the song. I smile lightly as I picture (Y/N), forcing me to dance with them, as they stand on my feet while the song play from my speaker.

   While I'm reminiscing about my kid, Roman looks in my direction before pulling a face of dread. I raise an eyebrow before I turn my head and inches from my face, is the slimy snake himself. 

   I basically jump to get away from him, a scowl on my face. I rip my headphones off, not bothering to pause the music. I tighten my glare as Janus smirks, "what do you want Janus?"

   Janus chuckles lightly, before pulling a façade of innocence. "Oh Virgil, how you wound me. I just wanted to see my favorite side."

   "I want nothing to do with you, with either of you."

   "I'm not talking about you."

   A look of shock and fear crosses my face as I realize that Remus is nowhere to be seen. Before I can even speak, I hear a scream and Remus's cackling.

   I see (Y/N) sprinting to the stairs before they start to crawl down backwards, too little to make their way down standing. I shove Janus out of the way and grab (Y/N) off of the stairs, I pull them as close to me as I can while they cling to be just as hard.

   Remus makes his way down, looking as smug as ever. I can't hold back the growl coming from my throat as the anger I feel is blazing; how dare he, how dare they.

   Janus smirks, "Well, looks like the cat is out of the bag. Or should I say, the spider-ling is out of their bed." Janus and Remus make take their leave, knowing that they didn't have to do much to make me so upset. I glare at them and once I know they are gone, I turn my attention to the shaking toddler in my arms.

   I start to sway gently, stroking (Y/N)'s hair as I gently soothe them. Their grip never falters, instead it tightens more, my hoodie bunched up in their tiny hands.

   "Virgil?"

   I turn so (Y/N) is facing away from Roman, a growl pulling itself from my throat, the need to protect my kid overriding the recognition of him. Roman takes a step back, and I take a few deep breaths to calm down. "Sorry."

   I see Logan and Patton approaching from the corner of my eyes, I turn my attention back to (Y/N) as I feel them shift. I see them looking at the two with a look of curiosity, and fear, in their eyes as they have never met the others before. I sigh before I turn so (Y/N) is facing the others, my judgement much more clear.

I sigh once more before looking at Logan and Patton, Roman makes his way over so I, and (Y/N) can see them easier.

   "This... this is Misery. They are my kid. Well, sort of. And they are the reason I left in the first place. From the... old residence, I mean."

   (Y/N) turn to look at me, their big eyes always capturing my heart when they look at me like I hold the entire world.

   "So, does this mean I'm a Granddad?!"

   I look back up and see Patton practically jumping in place with the biggest smile, his eyes looking like literal stars. I chuckle before shrugging, "I mean, I guess so Pop-star."

   He squeals before announcing that he's going to get them some cookies, claiming that he needs to spoil his Grandbaby. I roll my eyes before moving to sit on the couch with (Y/N) in my arms, Logan sits in his armchair to my right and Roman sits next to me. "They are so... small."

  I nod before (Y/N) plays with my hoodie strings, distracting themselves as Patton comes back in the living room. He places the plate of freshly baked cookies on the coffee table before sitting on my other side. "They are so cute! I love them so much already!" I chuckle before reaching and grabbing two cookies; one for me and one for (Y/N). They take their cookie and eat it slowly, making sure not to make too much of a mess, I take a bite of mine before the three of us start chatting with Logan occasionally asking a question about (Y/N).

   It feels nice to be in an environment where I feel like my kid is safe, it's all I've ever wanted for them.