the shooter

"Akaashi! Your lover is on the phone." Kuroo walks into Akaashi's open bedroom door this afternoon, his hand covering the phone as if it would help Bokuto not hear what he was saying.

Akaashi gives him a look, his math textbook open on his bed, notebook in his lap, the pages soggy with black gel pen.

Kuroo did not catch him at the best time, and while he was disturbed at the interruption during math especially, knowing it was Bokuto that wanted to talk to him made it okay.

Only a bit.

"Shut up." He tells Kuroo, taking his phone from him. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, he just wanted to talk to you since you're off today," said Kuroo, raising his eyebrows and looking at Akaashi's bed as if he was interested in what he was talking about. "Don't know why you still haven't gotten his number yet and talk to him yourself, but..."

The last statement came out more like a stream of running water and Akaashi decided to ignore it.

He didn't want to tell him it was because he was afraid of having a connection to Bokuto over the phone, that he would probably ruin himself waiting for random calls, to stay up all night just to talk to Bokuto and imagine his voice running over the text messages.

He did not want to let that flower bloom, either.

Akaashi looks at his notebook almost apologetically and presses Kuroo's phone to his ear.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Daisy!"

Akaashi smiles and looks at his lap, and Kuroo rolls his eyes, making a face like he smelled the nastiest thing on Earth. "Hi, Bokuto."

"I was calling because I missed you today! You didn't tell me you weren't gonna be in. I didn't get to see the new bouquet!"

Akaashi thinks he would have known if they had each other's phone numbers, but he didn't like to think about that part so much.

"Oh, uh...yeah." Akaashi presses his hand to his hot cheek and hopes it cools down by the end of the phone call. "Konoha said I didn't need to come today."

"Are you sick? I could bring you soup. Atsumu makes really good sick soup!"

Akaashi shakes his head, though Bokuto couldn't see it. "No, it's...I'm not sick, Bo. Just off. I'm still coming to see you tonight."

"That's perfect, actually! I was calling also because we don't have a shooter for tonight, and no one's really volunteering to do it so last minute..."

Akaashi raises one eyebrow as he tries to figure out what exactly he's asking. "Uh-huh...?"

"So, I, um...I kinda already signed you up! ...For it."

"What did you say?" Akaashi asks, staring at his notes as if they would come together and spell it out for him instead, Bokuto sounding like he already knew Akaashi wouldn't like the idea.

"I signed you up to be our shooter tonight!"

"Why the hell would you do that, Bokuto?"

"We need one! It's not that bad, 'kaashi~. You just have to wear cool clothes and stand out enough to get the attention to the racers! Which is not hard for you, anyway, considering you stand out, really, and you wear a lot of cool clothes, like that black shirt and the necklace! That looks really nice on you! Or makeup, like me! Or—"

"Bokuto." Akaashi shuts his eyes and hangs his head, no one here to really see the blush except for Kuroo, but the effect still comes down on him just as badly as if Bokuto was in front of him.