ocean

Friday rolled around and dragged Akaashi's excitement through the week, coming to a head when he was finally able to go see Bokuto race tonight.

Kuroo was not so excited, considering Kenma had planned to hang out with Hinata instead of the two of them right after his last race for the night, taking up most of the boy's time since they met at Bokuto's party. Akaashi knew Hinata was that kind of person, warming everyone beneath his gold token smile, but he didn't expect Kenma to thaw out so quickly.

It was nice to see.

Here he was, letting the wind thread its fingers through his hair and kiss his cheeks in featherlight touches as he watched Bokuto take the corner of the freeway, the air dryer now that fall was here.

Which was even better for Akaashi, now that he didn't have to worry about the roads being slippery.

He was excited for his first race against Tanaka, the same boy who was with Nishinoya at Bokuto's party.

He was a walking exclamation point, putting all his effort into anything that took his attention.

And Akaashi learned that most things take his attention very easily, so it wasn't surprising to see how well Tanaka and Bokuto got along before the race.

Even more so how small Akaashi's world felt, to see Kiyoko parking a white motorcycle beside Tanaka's car, only to have him kiss her in greeting with a coy smile on his face, still nervous like the first time, though the two have been together since high school.

In that small break Bokuto had after Tanaka, he and Akaashi had bet on Daichi again from Karasuno, having small popcorn conversations between the sound of screaming tires and the exhaust smoke from the drift along the curve.

Akaashi missed him when he was gone, Bokuto promising to keep up with Kenma as long as he could.

"Hi, dumbass." Kuroo greets, sitting down beside Akaashi in the spot he left for him, a small round cup in his hand filled with red liquid.

"Hey, nerd. What's that?" Akaashi gestures to the cup and Kuroo lifts it up a little, excited.

"Wine cooler. It's supposed to knock me on my ass!" Kuroo says, taking a sip of it.

He squeezes his eyes shut and makes a face, telling Akaashi that it did, in fact, knock him on his ass way too soon.

"Don't you wanna be sober enough to tell Kenma and Koutarou how good they did?" Akaashi asks, remembering all of those times where Kuroo would gush like a schoolboy after Bokuto got him some money.

"I'm sure you tell him how good his performance is enough already." Kuroo smiles, sickeningly sweet and Akaashi blushes at the implication, wanting to push Kuroo over so that he falls onto the grass beside him.

He restrains himself, but the urge is strong.

"Shut up. At least I could hang out with my boyfriend after he races."

Boyfriend. That word made him feel strange.

His butterflies perch on his budding flowers.

Kuroo grabs his shirt where his heart was, making a sharp, pained sound and he screws his eyes shut again.

"Aghaashi! You're killing me!"

His voice is cut in half by the sound of tires screeching, Kenma taking the corner of the freeway with a drift and causing the sky to split from the sound.

Akaashi watches and his heart buzzes in anticipation as Bokuto drags, Kenma taking the lead just barely. Blue lights paint the asphalt and a light smoke infiltrates the sky, covering the navy blue ribbons with dust.